Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a blu-ray application for MacPro?

I installed a third party blu-ray drive in my MacPro. Is there some type of application for watching/viewing blu-ray discs? There doesn't appear to be any recent threads on this topic and I was curious. I had searched several sites and nothing was available.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:38 AM

10 replies

Feb 29, 2012 7:57 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I don't believe that vlc can directly play blu-ray disks inserted into a blu-ray player on a mac. Yes they say it has an experimental lib in 2.0 that is supposed to support it but apple's obsession with humoring the movie industry is probably always going to be a problem.

And yes you can convert blu-rays to other formats that vlc and others can play (e.g,, makemkv).

No simple codec is going to get around the obstacles apple imposes, so perian won't help either.

This is why I only suggested Mac Blu-ray Payer. I am not sure how it gets around the legalities. But I do know it requires call back to the Mac Blu-ray Payer web site to do its job. Not having a blu-ray player I cannot comment further on this app or how it does what it claims it does.

Is there a blu-ray application for MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.