Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete unwanted items on my ipod

How do I delete unwanted music from my ipod, it is already deleted from my itunes library?

iPod classic

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 11:48 AM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2014 12:25 AM in response to CaliforniaHighwaysGuy

The previous iTunes version removed the item from the iPod when deleted from the library. The new iTunes version deletes the file from the library but doesn't remove it from the iPod. It simply complains about not being able to find the library file when syncing. Deleting the file in the iPod window of iTunes doesn't appear to do anything. Clearly, the new version of iTunes is hosed.

Jul 4, 2014 2:35 AM in response to bryndle

The logical way to remove a song from an iPod Classic is to ste the iPod to Sync only ticked songs and videos. After that is set (that only needs to be done once) one then to unticks the song in the iTunes Library and then Sync the iPod with iTunes. As far as I know (since I don't have anything I dislike so much that I wish to delete it), CaliforniaHighwaysGuy's method still works.

That removes a song from the iPod. Then, if required, delete it from iTunes.

Of course, if you use iTunes Match and iCloud, then there's a bit more involved. Presumably when designing iCloud, Apple didn't realise that people would actually want to delete music - forever!

Jul 4, 2014 3:53 PM in response to ampersand88

ampersand88 wrote:

The previous iTunes version removed the item from the iPod when deleted from the library. The new iTunes version deletes the file from the library but doesn't remove it from the iPod. It simply complains about not being able to find the library file when syncing. Deleting the file in the iPod window of iTunes doesn't appear to do anything. Clearly, the new version of iTunes is hosed.

If iTunes complains that it cannot find a file when syncing then you have removed the physical file, but not the entry for it in the library. With an iPod classic the corresponding tracks will be left on the device and you will see an error during syncing (which can be suppressed). If you sync your iPod you cannot manually remove individual tracks from the iPod's view of them. Use the controls on the music tab to change what is synced, or delete the files from your library, uncheck them, or change tags so that they no longer qualify for syncing to your device.

tt2

Jul 12, 2014 12:15 AM in response to turingtest2

The files (podcasts) that are reported as "missing" are not currently being shown in the library and are not shown in "On This iPod". Even after a full iPod "restore", which removed all but one of the unwanted podcasts, iTunes is still trying to find the other five files. I tried re-downloading the sixth one so I could "unsync" it and then delete it, but now I have two orphaned copies if it. There must be some other file list somewhere that iTunes keeps.

Jul 17, 2014 1:33 PM in response to turingtest2

This is an iPod Nano and the rogue items are podcasts. I explored the .XML file in the iTunes database directory and the unwanted podcasts are still shown and are linked to playlist entries although they don't show up in the iTunes library view. I am reluctant to edit the XML file for fear of corrupting it. The process of unchecking the items, then syncing, then deleting works fine going forward, but I would like to clean up the old stuff. I've worked with computers for over 50 years and their complexity has gotten unreasonable.

How do I delete unwanted items on my ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.