Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio on burned DVD

I imported home movie VHS tapes, edited them in I-Movie and burned a DVD using IDVD. There is no audio on the movie portion of the burned DVD when it is played on the TV's DVD player. (The little theme opening has sound.) The DVD works fine on the computer. This is a new problem. The process has always worked in the past.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 2:10 PM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2012 3:40 AM in response to MomH

Hi

First - When going to iDVD this can happen.

I do "Share to Meia Browser" and as Large (Not HD or other resolution - Audio may be gone)

I never use "Share to iDVD" as quality drops

And to get as good DVDs from VHS possibly - I use iMovie HD6 - not iMovie'08 or 09 or 11 as this costs in picture quality.

Else

No audio on DVD disc.

User uploaded file

Most common origin.

1. Imported audio from iTunes.

• In iTunes copy out as an Audio-CD .aiff (Same as played on standard Stereo CD - no .mp3)

• Use this in Your movie project

2. Low - Free Space on Start-up/Boot/Internal/Mac OS Hard disk makes it hard for iMovie to work as intended.
Down to 1.3 GB and it doesn’t work - especially audio don’t migrate over to Media Browser
(iM’08 & 09)

3. Material in iMovie’08 & 09 - Shared to Media Browser and here selected as Large

large.m4v. It silenced out this project in iDVD. By making a slight alteration - provoking it to ask for a new Share/Publish to Media Browser and here selecting 640x480 - and audio was back when a new iDVD project was created including this movie.

Minuscular - - 176x144

Mobile - - - - - 480x360

Medium - - - - 640x480

Large - - - - - - 720x540 960x540

HD - - - - - - - - 1280x720

4. Strange audio formats like .mp3, .avi etc.

• Change them to .aiff. Use an audio editor like Audacity (free)

5. Main audio is set to off in System Preferences - Does this by it self - Don’t know why

Cheque Audio-Out resp. Audio-In

6. Ed Hanna

Had the same problem; some Googling around gave me a kludgy, but effective fix

Downgrade Perian from recent versions back to version 1.0.

That worked for me, and so far I haven't encountered any deficiencies — except it takes more advanced versions of Perian to enable QuickTime to handle subtitles in .srt format — that I have noticed.

7. GarageBand fix.

In this set audio to 44.1 kHz (Klaus1 suggestion)

(if this don’t work try 48 kHz - me guessing)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Before burning the DVD.

• Do a DiskImage (File menu and down)

• Double click on the .img file

• Test it with Apple DVD-player

If it’s OK then make Your DVD.

Burn at x1 speed.... (or x4)

• In iDVD 08 - or - 09

• Burn from DiskImage with Apple’s Disk Utilities application

• OR burn with Roxio Toast™ if You got it

Yours Bengt W

Mar 1, 2012 3:10 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thank you. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I did discover that if I turned the volume on the tv to it's highest setting, I was able to hear the audio. I have exported and reimported the movie, and checked my start up disk memory, shared the movie to media browser both large and medium, and still no luck. The family is just going to have to watch the movie via the computer!

Mar 1, 2012 11:57 PM in response to MomH

Before burning the DVD.

• Do a Save as a DiskImage (File menu and down)

• Double click on the .img file

• Test it with Apple DVD-player

How does this Play ?

If it’s OK then make Your DVD.

Burn at x1 speed.... (or x4)

• In iDVD 08 - or - 09

• Burn from DiskImage with Apple’s Disk Utilities application

• OR burn with Roxio Toast™ if You got it

Yours Bengt W

No audio on burned DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.