Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s battery never fully charged

Hi,

I charge my iPhone 4s every night. Most often it never gets to a full charge, even though it says it's full (with the plug symbol). It can range from 92-97%. If I discharge the battery fully several times, it might get to a full charge the next time. Sometimes it will charge to 100% on a wall charger, but if I leave it charging overnight will back off to 95% or so.

I have done hard resets, restored, and even done a DFU restore, to no avail. The battery life seems OK most days. I use bluetooth in the car, make sure I keep most apps turned off, use airplane mode when traveling, etc. I have 3 email accounts, most of which use "push".

I have taken the phone twice to the genius bar, but the only thing they can suggest is that I completely restore the phone from new, which I have been reluctant to do because then I lose all my data and have to start over. Originally, this phone was set up from a backup from an earlier 3GS. I have all of the same apps and email accounts and settings on my original 1st generation iPad 3G, and I have no issues with the battery whatsoever.

Any thoughts short of completely starting from scratch would be appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:10 PM

It depends on when you look at it and what backround apps are running. The battery circuit charges the phone to 100%, then shuts off to avoid overcharging. If there are apps running they will discharge the battery slightly. When the charge level reaches 92% to 96% (it varies from phone to phone) the charger comes back on and recharges it to 100%. But if you look at it after it has reached 100% and before it reaches the recharge point it will show less than 100%.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 29, 2012 5:10 PM in response to Mark Smucker

It depends on when you look at it and what backround apps are running. The battery circuit charges the phone to 100%, then shuts off to avoid overcharging. If there are apps running they will discharge the battery slightly. When the charge level reaches 92% to 96% (it varies from phone to phone) the charger comes back on and recharges it to 100%. But if you look at it after it has reached 100% and before it reaches the recharge point it will show less than 100%.

Feb 29, 2012 5:28 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

Thank you for this, but it always backs off to 92-96% and never fully recharges and continues to show "full" with the plug symbol. In my phone's case, it seems that the recharge never kicks back on.

Could it be that I should turn off the email app every night so that it stops fetching and pushing?

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

iPhone 4s battery never fully charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.