Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor for MacBook Pro 13"

Hello, I know there has been a number of threads on this topic, but I haven't found my answer yet.

I am looking for a third party external monitor for my 13" MacBook Pro. I read a lot of text on my computer so it is important that the text is sharp. I have tried a couple Samsung monitors so far and the text is far from sharp and in fact it is outright hard on the eyes.

Currently, I am using a 23" Samsung SyncMaster SA550 with a HDMI/MiniDisplay 6" cable, I am using it as the primary display with my laptop closed and the resolution is set to 1080p. It's almost as though the video card is not powerful enough to drive this monitor - is that possible?

I have two questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to get this monitor to display clearer text?

2) Can anyone recommend a monitor that would display clearer text?

Thanks! Any info would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:54 PM

12 replies

Feb 29, 2012 6:56 PM in response to greengrover

The 13" MBPs have "shared graphics", meaning that the RAM is shared between the main CPU and video GPU. So the first order of the day would be upgrading the RAM to at least 4GB. That will ensure the GPU always finds enough RAM to drive the external monitor.

As for a clear image on a LED/LCD display, the trick is to run it at the native resolution. Check the specs for your display and adjust the Mac accordingly. Anything different from native will look blurry.

Mar 1, 2012 11:44 AM in response to greengrover

The only reason I thought of suggesting 1920x1080 was becaue I looked up the specs on your 23" Samsung SyncMaster SA550 and see it only has vga and hdmi input. I suspect that because it's hdmi input the EDID info tells Displays to add 1080i and 1080p to the resolutions and suppresses the 1920x1080. It's why I wasn't sure it would be there in the first place.

So have you tried 1080i just to see what kind of results you get? And to cover all possibilities have you tried using the VGA connection?

It may just be that what you see on this particular monitor is as good as it gets.

External Monitor for MacBook Pro 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.