Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transfer templates from pages on mac to pages on ipad

I only bought pages from the app store, not the whole iwork suite on my mac. Also, only have pages on my ipad and iphone.

I'd like to transfer some of the templates from my mac version, which has hundreds, to the others. I know I can log onto icloud and drag the files into it to upload them and they'll be available on my ipad and iphone as soon as the next sync.

My problem is that I can't find the template files on my mac.

As I read the pages doc about templates, it says:

"By default, it will be saved in your home folder in Library/Application Support/iWork/ Pages/Templates/My Templates/ and it will appear in the My Templates pane of the Template Chooser."

The problem is that this directory doesn't exist. Also, a search in finder yields nothing. I even tried opening the pages application and couldn't find them there either.

Any idea where the template files are being "hidden from me" on my mac? I hope I don't have to open each one individually and save it in another folder and then upload it, as that will take a long time.

TIA

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 5:32 AM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2012 11:26 AM in response to paulfromhere

Paul,

On Macs using Lion (OSX 10.7.x) to access your User Library you need to hold down either the Command Key or the Options Key while clicking on your User Directory icon (House) in the Finder,

dwb's response is also true: You can't transfer Templates to iPad, but you can transfer copies of documents created in Pages for Mac to iPad.

The trick is that most of the templates have more than one page or Section - you need to be sure that you have created a dummy document on your Mac that contains at least one sample of each Section before saving it.

That way you will have all parts of the original Template. You should be aware that some templates, when changed into documents and transferred lose some of their "Placeholder" functions - don't be surprised if you have to Replace Image rather than just drag and drop.

I suggest giving these documents a distinct name so that you don't overwrite them - something like Visual Report MASTER or Elegant Invoice MASTER, etc.,

Transfer these to your iPad using iTunes or iCloud and when you need to use one of them on your iPad you will have to first open the document from the Pages Document (Thumbnail View) screen by tapping the "+" Button (top left) and Copy From (iTunes or iCloud) and when the new document appears on your Pages Document Screen tap "Edit" (upper right) tap on the new document to select it, then tap on the "Duplicate" Icon ("+" ) to make a copy --> then edit or change that final copy and rename it to something useful.

Putting those "master" copies into a common folder will also help keep them pristine.

Good Luck.

Jan 6, 2014 9:44 AM in response to bwfromspring hill

Yes, this works pretty well. I tested it using the Apple supplied template for ePub which is relatively complex style-wize. I found all of the styles intact but not the Section choices. Neither Pages for iOS nor Pages for iCloud has a function that defines Sections as does this template in the hands of Pages for MacOS X. Pages for iOS has an ePub export function but Pages for iCloud does not yet have that. Pages for iOS will convert any video to an image and currently has no way to add audio to a document.

Thus, working in Pages on iCloud or iOS may well require a trip to MacOS X to complete one's work.

Apple clearly has a long way to go before it can claim full parity for the iWorks suite over these three platforms.

Apr 20, 2014 12:17 PM in response to paulfromhere

In fact it is possible to transfer a Pages template to your iPad via iCloud. It's just not 100% straightforward. I succesfully did the following procedure using Mavericks & iOS7:

ON YOUR MAC

1) Create your template in Pages

2) Choose "File > Save As Template" and choose the "Save..." option (not "Add To Template Chooser")

3) Save the template to a memorable location (e.g. your desktop)

4) Open a new finder window, hold the alt/option key on your keyboard and choose "Go > Library"

5) Browse to ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Pages/Documents

6) Open a second finder window and locate the template you saved in step 3

7) Drag the template into ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Pages/Documents

ON YOUR IPAD

8) Open Pages

9) Tap Documents in the top left

10) Wait a few moments for the iCloud to sync

11) With any luck your template will appear (with a generic template icon)

12) Tap the template

13) A dialog will appear "Add to Template Chooser" - tap "Add"

14) Once this is done, you can remove the template from your iCloud documents to keep things tidy by tapping "Edit", then tapping on the template file, and finally tapping on the Bin / Trash icon.

Now when creating a new document on your iPad you will find your template at the bottom under "MY TEMPLATES"

how to transfer templates from pages on mac to pages on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.