Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG Streamclip on Lion?

Guys, tearing my hair out hear.

I need to rip a project from DVD I did a while back. But every time I try to Export the VS file to Quicktime I get the following message "Error: Can't Create The MOV File".

I'm using the latest version of Lion on an Intel Mac Pro, along with MPEG Streamclip 1.9 3b7.

I have checked that I have all the MPEG2 Components installed (Apple MPEG2 CODEC.component & Quicktime MPEG2 Component).

I checked out the MPEG Streamclip website and followed their instructions to install the components again from my Final Cut Studio Disks but when I double click the PKG file from my original Final Cut Studio disk I can't use it as it was for a PowerPC application. I have the upgrade disks for Final Cut Studio 3 but these don't hold the necessary PKG's!

The thing is, my Quicktime 7 is the PRO version. So, should this not mean that I should be able to convert files using MPEG Streamclip?

What else can I do?

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:56 AM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2012 4:52 PM in response to A1ps

It's not clear what you are doing at all.

MPEG Streamclip should be able to open a VTS_01_1.VOB file and export it to multiple formats like "export to quicktime" and use h.264, it'll create a .mov that will play in QT7 or QTX, or iTunes probably.

What are you trying to do with Quicktime?

That "can't create the MOV file" sounds more like a permissions problem to me.

Mar 9, 2012 1:43 AM in response to Dr.Ripco

Dr.Ripco, I have a VTS_01_1.VOB file, which I need to rip into a .MOV file to be able to edit in FCP.

Using MPEG Streamclip, I Import the .VOB file and then when I Export to Quicktime I get the Error message.

As far as I know, there should be no Copyright Protection on the VOB file as it's my own edit 😀

Mar 9, 2012 3:06 AM in response to A1ps

I was scratching my head about this and realized something about your original post, you said you had the MPEG2 installer but it complained about it being PPC only.

I guess the solution will run you $20, you need to install this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A

Your MPEG2 library is the wrong version, you need the one for both PPC and Intel.

If you read the note from Streamclip, although lion has MPEG2 built in, Streamclip can't use it and you need to install the external library, which is the one in the URL, I think it's version 6.4.1, which adds the support into QT7 Pro, which is what you need, intel based.

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2012 9:07 AM in response to A1ps

Read the MPEG Streamclip Site notes on the MPEG2 Component - I believe it is now included with Lion. I migrated from SL, so still had the Component in my library file.

As for using MPEG Streamclip, I've never used the import function - I simply drag whatever file into the open window and that works - have you tried doing that?

Mar 15, 2012 9:59 AM in response to A1ps

I think it came with Final Cut Studio 2, but not sure. Definetly not Quicktime Pro.

I'd guess the original FCS was PPC only and the 2 was the one for PPC/Intel. If you have the original one, that MPEG2 library won't work, as you found out.

The MPEG2 stuff is licensed and royalties have to be paid to someone, it's out of Apple's control. If they handed it out to everyone, suppose the license fees would be in the tens of millions. Since most people don't need it, making it a pay addon makes sense.

There is some kind of MPEG2 compatability in Lion, but I'd guess it's some work around, Streamclips site says it just don't work so if you don't have the ppc/intel version of it on your FCS, yep, it's another $20 to spend.

Mar 15, 2012 10:12 AM in response to A1ps

Yeah I think the Universal was both ppc/intel.

I found this elsewhere, might as will try it...

If you obtained the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the installation of Final Cut Studio, then you can reinstall it again from the Final Cut Studio DVD. Insert the DVD and use the Finder's Go menu > Go To Folder... command to get to the /Volumes/Final Cut Studio/Installer/Packages/ folder inside the DVD. Locate the QuickTimeMPEG2.pkg or the QuickTimeMPEG2Pro.pkg installer: double-click it to reinstall the MPEG-2 component.

MPEG Streamclip on Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.