Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much bandwidth does FaceTime consume?

I bought my parents an iPad 2 for Christmas. They love using FaceTime on it, but they are noticing they are coming up on their internet bandwidth cap between the iPad and their other internet usage (they live in a rural area and use a wireless internet service, but FaceTime works great over it).

Anyway, does anyone have any data for how much bandwidth FaceTime uses streaming video up/down? I want to get an idea of how much their ISP cap allows them, and if they went into the next tier how much additional usage that would get them.

Thanks in advance for any hard data on this.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 2:24 PM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2012 4:05 PM in response to wubbus

Is there any way your parents could get a reading before commencing a timed session of FaceTime and then a reading afterwards? If not, and if you are the contact whom thy are FaceTimeing, could you get the readings at your end. ISP's vary as to how and when they display bandwidth usage and it might be a case of having to not use the broadband for a period to give the system time to update itself. You could repeat the test a 2nd time to verify its accuracy. Hope this helps if nobody else can give reliable statistics!

How much bandwidth does FaceTime consume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.