Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a mac mini, will lion work?

It is a core 2 with a 667mhz bus from 2008. It has 2GB but I am not sure it is all addressable with this model. Here are the rest of the specs:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 5:48 PM

16 replies

Mar 26, 2012 5:37 AM in response to mleeber

Don't do it! Lion is giving me multiple frozen programs now and then! I am running Macs for 6 years now and Lion on the new Mac Mini has been one BIG disappointment. I maybe had a frozen Mini once a year, but with Lion its more like once a week. Stay with Snow Leopard if you can, its far more stable, maybe even the most stable OS in the world. I think it's a disgrace to Apple that they no longer support their most stable OS ever on their new hardware! Sometimes it just wanna trow the Mini out the window! Very, very frustrating!

May 2, 2012 1:44 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Hey Allan! Great to see you here. I have the same problem: upgraded a Core Solo with a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo cpu and installed 2 GB of memory. It was a nice little Folding@Home machine in the day; now it's my main home computer. Never had any problems running OS's through 10.6.8 on it. Is there any way to get around the installer's refusal to let me download and install Lion?

May 2, 2012 6:23 AM in response to susato

Hi Susato

In my understanding of the installer, I don't know of any way to hack it so that it will work. I know of a couple of Mac users that have attempted to go that route so far without any success.

Yes, playing around with Folding@Home was great fun. The PowerMac G5 Quad I was using blew a processor and the cost to repair was too great so I upgraded to my current Mac Pro with two 6-Core Intel Xeon and 12 GB of RAM.

I thought that would be a good one to use with F@H but I ran into so many problems with it on Intel I gave up.

Allan

Nov 6, 2012 4:47 AM in response to FrankD2009

Ah well, time moves on past us and our equipment. There's also another problem with installing recent operating systems on the Mini -- it won't read the DVD. One has to hook up an external optical drive.

I'll be retiring the Mini soon, not because it won't run more advanced versions of OSX, but because the sound is failing. Not a peep through the headphone jack, and the speakers are gradually fading out too.

Allan, if you're still reading this very old thread, I encourage you to try the latest Folding@Home client on that powerful desktop. It's too nice a machine to sit idle!

I have a mac mini, will lion work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.