Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My OS Console is Over Flowing with "FigTimeHalve" Warnings

Hi...

as the header suggests...

I have millions (litterally) of those warnings in the OS X console while using FCPx... They appear MORE often the farther I am zoomed in on the timeline..

here is the warning, in case any of you know how to interpret it:

3/2/12 2:22:57.861 AM Final Cut Pro: FigTimeHalve: WARNING: Halving FigTime 12959999/1845569550 is falling back to FigTimeMultiplyByFloat64 - loss of precision

I constantly watch the console since starting using FCPx as it is very helpful in trouble shooting.

I really hope apple is going to fix this because I LOVE this app.

Thanks for any advise

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 5:30 PM

12 replies

Mar 11, 2012 12:16 AM in response to Studio Engineer

I get these as well, though it's usually condensed to say "this line was repeated 131 times"

It's eventually followed up with an error:

Final Cut Pro[24545]error: FigTimeGetSampleNumber t.timescale == 0 || Non-Numeric(t) || Invalid(t) || sampleDuration.timescale == 0 || sampleDuration.value == 0 (t=inval, sd=0.041667(100/2400))

But only the programmers can really interpret this in the context of what they're trying to do. A "loss of precision" might be harmless, depends what's happening.

I suppose that the warning repeated 100's of times, might be an issue in itself.

Jul 6, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

My machine is a 4GB iMac 2.8 GHz dual core. The FCP problem is not only related to spilling the log, but it is hanging up my system constantly, be it during editing or exporting. The only way out is a forced reboot. Pitty, because during the scarce moments it is working, it looks like a really nice program, but in the state it is in now, I wouldn't dream of buying it. Apple don't seem to take the problems seriously, so a soution is not to be expected.

Jul 10, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Spinalman

I give up. FCPX is too buggy. It eats up all RAM (there are messages about memory leaks). Today I tried to export a 2 hour movie and all memory is steadily eaten up by FCPX and at 86% it just dies. After rebooting it appears it has created a 103GB !!!!! movie, which obviously cannot be opened. So its back to iMovie for me

Jul 10, 2012 1:52 PM in response to dinky2

Yes I agree. These bugs make a good product unreliable.

I also had repeated issues with encodes stalling at 66% - even with short 8 minute HD ProRes programmes.. I had tried export, share via compressor, share using compressor settings - yet none could bypass the issues. I troubleshot by removing certain parts of the timeline and trying to encode. Eventually I managed to get a non-stalling encode.. so added back the clips sequentially. Found one clip that seemed to be a cause.. eventually re-ingested it and the encodes were successful. Encode times are routinely 3 times realtime on a modern MBPro.

Not a great way to run a professional edit facility.

A colleague suggested moving FCP7 into a separate folder so that it didn't reside alongside FCPX. That may have helped.

This FigTimeHalve issue is so frustrating. If only we had just an inkling of what it relates too we could at least have a chance of isolating and working around. Are there no Apple logs of such issues and what FigTime relates to?

Feb 21, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Spinalman

Dang.... same issue with the thousands of "Final Cut Pro: FigTimeHalve: WARNING: Halving FigTime 1943889373/1581300000 is falling back to FigTimeMultiplyByFloat64 - loss of precision" in my console.... usually preceeding yet another beachball of death.

Of note....

I have been getting Open GL ERRORS (documented by others in other threads) in the console for days. Randomly ending in a beachball hang.

It is just today that I started seeing the Loss of Precision errors that now fill the console log when I run FCPX.

I notice the Open GL errors whenever I mouse-over a thumbnail, when I apply an effect, when I use the slip tool in the timeline.

This is a big problem in that I need to get my work done, and today is the final day of the project.

Mac OSX 10.7.5

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB

Memory: 26 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

My OS Console is Over Flowing with "FigTimeHalve" Warnings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.