Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony HVR-VR1p firewire connectivity issues on new iMac

Hi Folks,

I have sucessfully captured alot of footage from my Sony HVR-VR1P to my macbook, and now I'mhaving trouble doing it on my iMac!

Using Finalcut Pro 7.0.3- and a Firewire 800 to ilink Cable- the camera lights up with ilink icon, but in final cut I cannot log and capture at all.

have tried a number of settings (easy setups and manual) and no joy.

EWould be delighted if someone could suggest a workflow so I can get my tapes in!

cheers

Pete

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16GB

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 8:57 PM

16 replies

Mar 2, 2012 6:18 AM in response to bollocky

Is your camera the HRV-V1P? (Couldn't find a VR1P)

The V1P is on Apple's supported camera list for FCP 7. WHat is "footage"? If it's HDV, the recommended easy setup for it is HDV 1080i50 Firewire Basic. Check to see whther your settings agree with that. Also double-check your camera settings to make sure it's set to HDV…if that's indeed what you're trying to capture.

Good luck.

Russ

Mar 2, 2012 6:32 AM in response to bollocky

If what Russ suggests doesn't address the issue, you may have a more fundamental problem.

If your laptop connects via fw400 and works, the issue may be the iMac's fw800 connection to the camera. There have been a fair number reports here on the forum where a camera that works fine with a fw400 connection will not work via fw 800. It's hard to figure out whether it is a cable, adapter or protocol issue, but, for those aflicted, the only thing that works is to capture using a computer with a fw400 port.

Good luck,

x

Mar 3, 2012 12:18 AM in response to Russ H

Yes tha camera is the HRV-V1P- my blue there.

And yes, have tried just about all the settings including 1080i50 Basic firewire..

It shows up as HDV OUT on the camera- playing tape or not, but is not recognised by the iMac.

DOES not show up in system profiler under Firewire. does this mean I have a dodgy cable perhaps?

I do not accept that the iMac does not connect via Firewire 800.. That's Bollocks. Its the main reason I got the Imac and blew 3000 in the process.

This must work!!

still open to ideas!! ..

Have rebooted the system and also

• reconnected the camera, powered down/ up etc
  • changed cam settings to HDV/ Auto on the iLink out settings
  • tried DV tapes as well and still no joy.. (with other correct settings)

Mar 3, 2012 12:23 AM in response to Studio X

Hi X, I don't accpet that.. My MBP is woeful and near 4 years old, it has stuff all RAM and cannot do this task.

I'll try another cable and see what goes.

I have a $4000 camera and a $3000 imac. It will work or someone will die trying.

Still open to ideas..

Is there another way (like a component to DVI to Firewire box that might do the import>??

cheers for your reply!!

Sony HVR-VR1p firewire connectivity issues on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.