Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine restore after clean install

My MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual core Intel Xeon with 8 Gb RAM was having trouble booting and the drive was unable to be repaired 2x in 30 days, so I wiped the drive and did a clean install of Snow Leopard and brought everything back to date (10.6.8) cleanly.

How do I get all my apps, preferences, keychain etc back from my most recent Time Machine backup? My user now is different, so Time Machine is giving me a hard time now that I am a new "me."

Thanks!

Artboard

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 9:28 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2012 9:34 PM in response to Art Nutter

You would use Migration Assistant to migrate the old "you" from your backup.

If your issue was user specific all along, you may reintroduce the issue by migrating. If you fear it was user specific, you should log into Root and manually navigate into your backups.backupdb folder and find the desired apps, docs, music, movies, and pictures, and then copy them to the desired and respective locations of the volume, but you will have to address the permissions using "Apply to Enclosed Items" to make sure they will open, edit, and save correctly, depending on the contents that you bring over. Permissions can be a pain sometimes.

time machine restore after clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.