Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retain old backups while starting new one

After upgrading to Lion, my Time Machine has developed a problem - I receive the ominous message that TM has verified my backups, finds that it needs to start a new backup, and that this will delete my old backup history.

My TM backup is located on a Time Capsule that also serves as my WiFi router.

I have noticed that I can actually still enter Time Machine and access my old backups. So whatever the 'corruption' of my backup file, it's not so serious as to render my backups completely inaccessible. It would seem a shame, therefore, to have to throw three years of backups away, at least some of which seem to work OK. Nevertheless, I would like to start making new backups again.

What to do?.. I have thought about several options, but I can't get them to work. One idea I had was to delete my most recent backups through the Time Machine interface, because that's probably where something has gone wrong (I may have interrupted the backup process somehow, I have heard that can cause problems). However, this doesn't work; I get the message that I do not have the permissions to do that.

Another option was to simple copy the whole backup to another location, but that does not seem feasible, given the size of the thing. It might take forever to copy that. Also, it seems I need to format the destnation drive in a specific format, which means I cannot use the drive I already had in mind for that purpose. And then I'm not sure TM will be able to access those copied files later on.

So now I'm thinking that I should leave the existing backup alone, maybe rename it somehow, and start a new backup alongside of it on the same drive. If I ever need to access my old backups, I could rename them back to what they were and then access them through TM. This would eman that I would tell my TM that it can start a new backup history, but without it actually deleting my old backups.

Is this possible? Are there better options?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 1 TB Time Capsule, Airport Express

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:05 AM

19 replies

Mar 5, 2012 5:51 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Unfortunately, if this is the message that you saw......

User uploaded file

I am afraid that it means exactly what it says. The backups have become corrupted and Disk Utility cannot repair them. I suppose that you could try copying the files to another disk...but whether Time Machine could even "see" them is open to question.

You can Start a New Backup, which will delete all previous backups......or.....Back Up Later, which will prevent the Time Capsule from making any new backups until you click Start New Backup. Unfortunately, it really is a Catch 22.

Forum guru Pondini has posted some additional information about this message if you want more details. See # C13 in Time Machine -- Troubleshooting

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Mar 5, 2012 6:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the response!

Yes, that's the one. It's really annoying - if I was sure that my backups were inaccessible anyway I wouldn't mind throwing them away. But the Time Machine is still working; I have actually managed to recover some files from it after this error message started appearing.

I keep looking for workarounds that will allow me to start a new backup without actually erasing the old ones. Would it be possible, for example, to rename my system so that starting a new backup doesn't affect the old ones? Then if I would want to access the old ones, I could re-rename my system back to the old name and enter the old backups. Do you think that would work?

Mar 5, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Time Machine looks at the unique ID of your Mac, so changing the name of your Mac, or changing the name of Macintosh HD will not fool Time Machine into thinking it should make a new backup and keep the old one.

The only way that I know to possibly work around this is move the Time Machine backups to another drive. I haven't tried this....so cannot say whether it might work or not....or even whether it is a good idea at all to try to store corrupted files.

I'll leave a message for Pondini in the moderators forum to see if we can get him to comment on this.

Mar 5, 2012 6:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again. :-)

I also came across this page:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101

I don't understand very much of it, but I get the impression that it might be possible to change something somewhere that may help to overcome this.

I've tried moving the TM backups, but then I got the message that the disk wasn't in the right format.

Interestingly, some time ago I archived the Time Capsule's hard drive (because I had a feeling something would go wrong one day), so theoretically that should also have 'backupped' the backups, shouldn't it? But I can't see them in the Finder when I mount this extra drive I used for the archiving. I can only see the 'regular' files from the TC hard drive. I wonder.. does this mean that the TM backups weren't archived, or should I do something else to find out whether I have a backup of the backups?...

[EDIT] Normally I can't see the backup files on the TC either - only when I enter Time Machine does the backup disk get mounted and visible. So maybe the fact that I cannot see my backups on the archive disk does not necessarily mean they're not there. hmm...

Mar 5, 2012 6:41 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

I also came across this page:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101

Trying to change the MAC Address is definitely not recommended.

I've tried moving the TM backups, but then I got the message that the disk wasn't in the right format.

The disk must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Please wait for Pondini to comment before you try this.

Interestingly, some time ago I archived the Time Capsule's hard drive (because I had a feeling something would go wrong one day), so theoretically that should also have 'backupped' the backups, shouldn't it? But I can't see them in the Finder when I mount this extra drive I used for the archiving. I can only see the 'regular' files from the TC hard drive. I wonder.. does this mean that the TM backups weren't archived, or should I do something else to find out whether I have a backup of the backups?...

This really should be posted as a new separate thread since we are drifting from the original question. Please wait to see if Pondini will comment first.

Mar 5, 2012 8:03 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Onkelpazuzu wrote:

. . .

I keep looking for workarounds that will allow me to start a new backup without actually erasing the old ones.

There's no reliable way to do that "in place."

TM backups are intricately linked together, so damage in one place makes the entire set suspect and unreliable.

We don't know exactly what's wrong with your backups -- as you noted, you can see (and probably restore) some of them, with some degree of reliability, unless and until you hit the damage -- then there's no telling what will happen. Hopefully, the restore will fail, but you might restore damaged, scrambled, and/or incomplete stuff without knowing it. Things will only get worse from there.

And, you can't copy damaged backups successfully via the Finder; it copies files and folders, and fails if there's a directory problem. The single thing you may be able to do is, use the "archive" facility to do a "block copy" of the TC's entire internal HD to a USB drive. Assuming the TC's HD isn't failing (it is 3 years old, right?), the "archive" copy will be exactly like the original -- faults and all.

Then you can leave the drive connected to the TC, or connect it directly to your Mac, and should be able to browse and restore from them with the same lack of confidence as the originals, via the Browse... option. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #17 for details.

Then erase the TC's internal HD, per #Q5 in Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule. That will be much faster than letting Time Machine delete the old sparse bundle.

That's a lot of hassle for a very dubious outcome. Assuming these are your only backups, it might be more prudent to start making "secondary" backups. That's always a good idea, especially if your originals are on a network, and even more so if there's the slightest doubt about them or the hardware they're on. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #27 for details and suggestions.

Once you've done that, erase the TC's internal HD and let Time Machine start fresh.

Mar 5, 2012 9:14 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the elaborate explanation; I'm learning a lot today.

I have actually archived my TC to another drive about a month ago, before this error occurred. So if the archive contains the backup files, these would probably not be corrupted.

But what I did when archiving -and in retrospect that seems to have been a mistake- was archive to a folder on that drive, rather than to the root of the drive. That means that I can't simply direct Time Machine to the drive - at least, if I do that, it does not find a backup file in the root folder and hence starts a completely new one. I'm still not sure if that means that there is no backup file on my archive disk at all, or that it simply is not accessible. Is there any way to find out about that?..

I guess the whole thing hinges on those backup files having been archived (and being accessible) or not. If they are, I don't need to worry and can just clean my TC and start afresh. If they haven't, or aren't... well, I may still have to do the same thing actually. :-|

Mar 5, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Onkelpazuzu wrote:

. . .

But what I did when archiving -and in retrospect that seems to have been a mistake- was archive to a folder on that drive, rather than to the root of the drive.

Ah, we're not talking about the same thing; the "archive" I'm talking about is this one: Time Capsule: Using AirPort Utility 5.3.1 or later to make a copy of the Time Capsule disk. Nothing else will work on corrupted backups.

That means that I can't simply direct Time Machine to the drive

What, exactly, did you do? Did you copy the sparse bundle? Did you copy the Backups.backupdb folder inside it? Or something else? Exactly what's now on the drive?

If you copied the sparse bundle to a folder, you may be able to simply move it to the top level of the drive, so you can access it via the Browse... option. But except in an emergency, I'd not recommend making more backups to it. There may well be hidden damage there already.

I guess the whole thing hings on those backup files having been archived (and being accessible) or not. If they are, I don't need to worry and can just clean my TC and start afresh. If they haven't, or aren't... well, I may still have to do the same thing actually. :-|

Again, I think you're worrying about the wrong thing, or at least in the wrong order. Your backups are damaged, and you have an old TC -- if it's beginning to fail, that could be the cause of the damaged backups.

If you have a problem with your Mac, you cannot restore your system from those backups. You may be able to recover some of your stuff, but it will be expensive, tedious, and error-prone.

If you value your data (your current data), please consider getting a backup of it elsewhere, such as on an external HD, either via Time Machine or one of the "cloning" apps mentioned in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question#27. Do this as soon as possible, as you do not have reliable backups at the moment.

Then if you really want to worry about 3-year old backups, do it at your leisure.

Mar 5, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

Ah, we're not talking about the same thing; the "archive" I'm talking about is this one: Time Capsule: Using AirPort Utility 5.3.1 or later to make a copy of the Time Capsule disk. Nothing else will work on corrupted backups.

Yes, that is actually what I did, and I did this some time before I started getting ominous messages from my Time Machine. But, rather than simply selecting a drive to Archive my TC to, I created a folder on that drive and selected that to archive the TC to - thinking that by doing that, I could use the remaining space on that drive for other backup purposes - very bad backup behavior, I know. But I was sort of proud of myself even doing this at all. :-)

In any case, what is on the archive disk now is a folder that contains exactly what my time Capsule HD contains when I open it in the Finder. In other words, when I go to the Time Capsule in the Finder (with Time Machine switched off), it contains a folder Time Capsule with all my regular files. Unless I actually turn on Time Machine and enter it, no backup disk is mounted, and no sparsebundle is visible. The 'archive' disk contains a folder that I made, called Time Capsule Archive, which in turn contains all those files and folders. Again, no backup disk or sparsebundle is visible. But since I used the 'official' Archive function, I'm still hoping the sparsebundle may be in there somewhere.

If you copied the sparse bundle to a folder, you may be able to simply move it to the top level of the drive, so you can access it via the Browse... option. But except in an emergency, I'd not recommend making more backups to it. There may well be hidden damage there already.

Agreed, it's just that I have found that having backups going a couple of years back can be quite useful, not to say important (it's a work thing, where I have found that sometimes I need to be able to reproduce old files or e-mails). So for me it would be great if I would know for sure (or at least with some degree of confidence) that those old backups are not really lost. Then of course I wouldn't mind starting over again on another disk.

Your backups are damaged, and you have an old TC -- if it's beginning to fail, that could be the cause of the damaged backups.

Yes, I was beginning to think that it might fail one of these days, which is why I archived it. In fact, most of my important files are on the TC rather than on my Macbook. And I will certainly start backing up anew on another disk. The only thing that would be needed for complete peace of mind is if I knew I could get to those old backups when I need them.

Mar 5, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Onkelpazuzu wrote:

. . .

In fact, most of my important files are on the TC rather than on my Macbook.

Do you mean you had other files there, not in your backups? If so, that's even more dangerous -- you only have one copy of those files.

If you have important files you don't have room for on your internal HD, put them on an external HD, and let Time Machine back them up along with your internal.

having backups going a couple of years back can be quite useful, not to say important

If you really want to keep things that long, don't depend on either Time Machine or a single cloning app. Make regular archives somewhere else (separate external HD, DVDs, online).

The only thing that would be needed for complete peace of mind is if I knew I could get to those old backups when I need them.

Try moving the sparse bundle to the top level of the drive, manually mounting it, then trying the Browse... option. That's the only way you'll see those backups via the Time Machine interface.

Where it is, you can mount the sparse bundle, open the disk image inside it, and see the files & folders in the various backups. You may be able to copy from them, but may have permissions issues with the copied files. That's why accessing them via the Finder is not recommended, except as a last resort.

Mar 5, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Pondini

If you have important files you don't have room for on your internal HD, put them on an external HD, and let Time Machine back them up along with your internal.

If you really want to keep things that long, don't depend on either Time Machine or a single cloning app. Make regular archives somewhere else (separate external HD, DVDs, online).

Try moving the sparse bundle to the top level of the drive, manually mounting it, then trying the Browse... option. That's the only way you'll see those backups via the Time Machine interface.

Where it is, you can mount the sparse bundle, open the disk image inside it, and see the files & folders in the various backups. You may be able to copy from them, but may have permissions issues with the copied files. That's why accessing them via the Finder is not recommended, except as a last resort.

Moving the sparsebundle to the top level sounds like the best plan. The only problem is that I'm not sure (yet) how to actually do that - since I can't see the sparsebundle as a file in the Finder - I can only see it when it is mounted as a backup disk, and Time Machine won't do that because it is located in a folder... I suppose it would have to be done through the terminal somehow.

And of course you're right about backing up those other files. In fact, I do keep backups (CD-rom) for many of them, but I recently decided that I should be more systematic about it - hence the archiving of the TC.

Thanks very much for all your help; you've been very patient and I've learned a lot!

Mar 5, 2012 2:09 PM in response to Onkelpazuzu

Onkelpazuzu wrote:

. . .

Moving the sparsebundle to the top level sounds like the best plan. The only problem is that I'm not sure (yet) how to actually do that - since I can't see the sparsebundle as a file in the Finder - I can only see it when it is mounted as a backup disk, and Time Machine won't do that because it is located in a folder

You should be able to see it via the Finder. What's shown for the contents of that folder? It should just be <computer name>.sparsebundle (unless it was created on Leopard, in which case it will have the MAC address after the computer name).

The one on your TC should be in the "Data" folder (unless you've renamed it), and look something like this, with the Finder in Column View (and have only one sparsebundle, of course):

User uploaded file

The one on the USB drive should be similar.

How to retain old backups while starting new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.