Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine suddenly not working, advice pls

Hi,

I have two external HD's, one is mains powered and the other is a smaller and more portable USB powered one..

i used to use time machine on the more portable one, but then i changed to using the mains powered ext HD for time machine backing up, and never had a problem with either.

Now i am away from home and only took the portable one with me, and the first time i tried to back up using time machine with this one it fails always after backing up about 30gigs...it always seems to fail at the same point more or less... and the msg i got is below...User uploaded file

One thing to note, is that before attempting this back up, this portable ext HD did have a lot of content on it (mainly music), which is now not backed up on either of my ext HD's - i transferred it to my laptop + deleted it from the external HD before making the time machine backup. now i can't even simply copy and paste anything to the empty portable ext HD. I can remember having problems deleting from the portable ext HD and i think, i had a lot of problems specifically removing the backups folder that was on that portable HD from a long time ago, but i did remove it in the end.

So my suspicions are that this is probably the reason it doesnt work now - odd that i can't even put anything onto the portable HD now... I need to return this laptop to apple asap (due to other non-related reasons), so i need to erase its HD before sending and i cant access the bigger ext HD with my backups on,( to make a new back up) before i need to send it, (that's why I wanted to change this portable HD that's with me to be my time machine back up)as i have a recent back up at home I'd happily just put my new things on a storage device you see, as could use the back up again later when needed.

using time machine is essential for me for its simplicity of transferring everything to the new comp, (likely to be a mac mini when ive done enough research)...but as i say - because i have a fairly recent time machine back up at home, if i can simply transfer the latest additions to my laptop to this ext HD, whilst not ideal, will suffice as i don't have much time.

does anyone have any idea why this is failing? I really need to back up to this ext HD as i am a long way from my usual one and won't be able to access it for a while. Was I not able to change back up device more than once? hopefully its just a case that this portable external HD has just stopped working and a solution is to buy a new ext hD where i am here, but that may not work, and I don't want to fork out another £50 if it's unnecessary.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation...+ many many thanks in advance....

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 7:28 AM

10 replies

Mar 2, 2012 7:40 AM in response to dj_rag

quick update! - i just realised that this portable USB HD has a kind of dual usb output, and previously I was only using one - just occured to me to try plugging in both, and i'm giving the backup a go again!

I will let you know if this was the solution all along (although I doubt it, as I have transferred files to and fro many times without using both USB ports)

thx

Mar 2, 2012 8:41 AM in response to dj_rag

**** i spoke too soon....it stopped again around the 30 gbs transferred mark.

how strange....there must be something that's stopping it backing up, some content it doesn't like?

I tried again to also just move the files I dont have backed up anywhere (200gb) , onto the external hd but it doesnt even start the process, and I get this msg

"the finder cant complete the operation because some data in (the folder i want to transfer) cant be read or written. (Error code -36) "

does this mean there's a "backups.backupdb file in there somewhere it doesnt allow me to move? I got it all from the external hd to my computer at one point though...so would seem strange..

thx

(and its the same, regardless.....whatever file i try to transfer across, be it just an mp3 or a jpeg...i get the same msg and it doesnt let me)

time machine suddenly not working, advice pls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.