Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove my phone number from iMessage?

Hi. I recently gave up my iPhone to switch to a non-Apple device. While I had the iPhone, my phone number was used for iMessage.

Now when my friends using iPhone try to send me a message, it automatically select iMessage as Apple recognises my mobile number as an iMessage number even though I don't have an iPhone anymore. Is there any way to remove my phone number from Apple's iMessage database?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, iMessage

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 8:34 AM

70 replies

Mar 9, 2012 12:30 PM in response to LeeBrenda

I have exactly the same problem. I ported my number to an Android phone, and kept my iphone to use as an Ipod touch. I have taken the sim card out, wiped the phone. put the sim card back in to restore and turned off imessage completely. Nothing works. Its like my phone number is stored on some Apple imessage server somewhere and any of my friends iphones automatically see my number as an iphone still and default to imessage. Then the messages they send are never received by anything. My only course of action is to ask them to turn their imessaging service off. It is deeply frustrating.

I also tried to check if it was registered but it apparently never was (I had bought a refurbished iphone from AT&T). If I login to my apple profile their are no products registered.

Apple needs to get this fixed pronto, because some of us are still customers even though we may have switched our phones. And I am not a very happy customer right now.

Jul 6, 2012 6:36 PM in response to LeeBrenda

My wife went to an S3 today I figured out how to fix this problem

Have your friends or any one you know delete you from their phone.

Have them restart their phones (power down then back on completely)

Have them text your number

Make a new entry for you.

This worked for me. However your milagros may very. Or just have them reboot their phones and see if that works

If it doesn't you will need to put your sim in their phone and turn iMessage off from your sim. If they are All on another network other than AT&T then I am at a loss however you may be able to go into AT&T and use one of their iPhones. To do this. If you are on a anything other than AT&T this also probably will not help.

Jul 11, 2012 2:23 AM in response to LeeBrenda

Hello all,

I contacted Apple support, they are pretty useless.

But now I found online the fix couple of weeks ago.. luckily I still had my old 3GS in the bottom of the junk draw.

Steps:

• Put the SIM back in the iMobile.
  • Startup the phone, let it register with the carrier
  • Turn ON Imessage: under Messages menu there is an option for Imessages . (if already on, turn off, and then on again)
  • Turn OFF Imessage: Messages menu etc..
  • DONE

During this process the Iphone will send a couple of SMSs in the back ground, when the mobile changes Imessage status.. so it will cost money..

Cheers

Craig

How to remove my phone number from iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.