Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Postscript Printing?

I just bought a new Brother HL-2270DW mono laser printer and am unable to print smooth vectors from Illustrator CS5 (or Acrobat, or inDesign, or even a .ps file dropped straight into the printer's queue). 1200 dpi Bitmaps print beautifully from Photoshop (after some messing around in the hidden Print settings dialog), but everything coming from Illustrator is jagged, even simple solid black shapes.

I'm using the most current driver available - Bother HL-2270DW series CUPS - have updated the firmware, etc. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8.

Any suggestions, alternate drivers, or ideas for work-arounds? (I'd love to be able to activate or de-activate that 'Print as Bitmap' box in print>file box, but it's grayed out). I'd appreciate any help!

--Dan Z.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:11 AM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Dan Zettwoch

Your issue is probably due to the Brother using Postscript emulation rather than true Adobe Postscript. Many vendors went with the emulation rather than pay Adobe to have full Postscript. So using an alternate driver may still produce the poor results, especially given that downloading the Postscript file directly to the printer produces the same output.

Mar 21, 2012 11:32 AM in response to PAHU

I just got the Brother HL-2270DW laser printer yesterday. I am having the same problems of jaggeddy edges - InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat PDF.

For InDesign:

I was able to uncheck "Print as Bitmap" and it solved the problem - I was able to print smooth black type and line edges. I created my own Print Preset, as follows:

In Print Dialog Box:

Advanced: uncheck "Print as Bitmap".

For Illustrator, I too, was not able to uncheck the "Print as Bitmap" check box. Help!

Acrobat (NOT SOLVED), PDFs that printed fine on my HP-5000N laserprinter print "jaggedy" on the Brother printer. Help!

My HP-5000N broke. Maybe I will get it repaired and forget this Brother printer.

- Jane

Postscript Printing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.