Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing recovered mail on my mac

I want to delete a recovered amil folder to big to send from ON My Mac mail folder. Will not delete.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Want to delete the folder won't del

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:00 PM

10 replies

Mar 3, 2017 6:46 AM in response to Wm*

Worked perfectly. Many thanks.

Wish the title better reflected the range of issues this fixes as it took a long time to find this solution.

My wife's MacBook Mail program was showing a continuously spinning globe in the Inbox and had stopped receiving new emails. In addition the next day, she began getting the 'Your startup disc' has too little memory messages.

Searching under both of those issues did not lead to any solution and certainly not this solution. It was only after I recognized that the hard drive was filling with repeated copies of the same recovered message that a search led us here.

Mar 13, 2012 11:14 AM in response to annfromor

The easiest way to do this (credit to Harmen Utrecht) is as follows:

Problem: Mac Mail keeps recovering same messages over and over again.

Easy Solution:

Go to Mail Preferences.

Select the mail account involved.

Go to tab Advanced.

Under "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing" select "Don't keep copies of any messages".

(Don't worry, they are still on the server.)

Close Preferences.

If needed: Delete the problem messages from the Recovered Message folder.

Close Mail.

Problem fixed.

If you want, go back into Mail Preferences and reset the choice back to the old "Keep messages for offline viewing".

Then, everything will be back the way it was, but the problem messages won't come back.

Removing recovered mail on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.