Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share my printer?

Hello,

I am running Mac OS X Server v10.6.8 on my Mac mini and would like to setup printer sharing. I have a printer connected to the mini via usb and would like to share it over the local network. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I looked under "Print & Fax" under system prefrences, but did not see the option for sharing, I also looked under "Sharing," but did not see the option to share. Am I missing the options, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:42 AM

8 replies

May 31, 2012 10:51 AM in response to MrHoffman

I do have the exact same problem as pointed out by Chambec.

Also, within the Server Admin tool there is no "Printer Sharing" service available to check. There is a "Print" service available but it is checked already even though the "Overview" tab shows it as unchecked. I tried to deactivate the print service and then reactivate it again but that didn't change anything.

Any advice is appreciated.

May 31, 2012 11:57 AM in response to TXRedneck

TXRedneck: to confirm: you running OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard Server?

The picture that Chambec is showing is System Preferences from OS X client, which is generally not how OS X Server administers this sort of thing with OS X Server 10.6. The approach that Chambec would be using (again, with 10.6 server) involves using Server Admin and not System Preferences, and (again, on 10.6) Server Admin could manage printer queues on OS X Server.

To enable print services within Server Admin on 10.6, select the service, check the box to enable it (if it's not already enabled), and the configure it. This is what I meant by the "Launch the Server Admin tool and (if it's not already present) add the Print service, and configure it, and start the Print service." reply.

AFAIK, OS X Server 10.7 doesn't have printer administration in either Server Admin or Server.app; when last I checked, that seems to have been removed. (I wouldn't get too wed to this service, in other words.)

On OS X client and probably also on OS X Server 10.7, the closest mechanism available here involves managing CUPS directly from its web interface, and you can investigate that using a web browser. Enter the address http://localhost:631/ into the address bar. (Caveat: I haven't tried getting CUPS to share a printer this way, though - all of the printers I deal with are all network-connected, as host-based printer sharing tends toward the unmanagable mess in my experience.)

May 31, 2012 2:00 PM in response to TXRedneck

In that second image, are you intending to not open the disclosure triangle for the services that are available for the server? That is the triangle located to the immediate left of the macmini.local bonjour name for the server, in the left column of Server Admin. Open that disclosure triangle, then click on the Print service, then...

There's a good set of documentation available for OS X Server 10.6. Look around under here for OS X Server 10.6 documentation and details.

How do I share my printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.