Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will partitioning a disk erase Mac OS 9?

I have a summer 2001 iMac G3, and I am going to install Mac OS X 10.3 on a partition. I have not made the partition yet, and currently the computer has both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.1 installed. When I do make the partition, is there a chance that Mac OS 9 could be erased from the computer? I want to be sure what I am doing when I partition the disk, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, has Mac OS 9 and 10.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:40 PM

Yes, you will erase OS 9 when you partition,. There's an app called iPartition that will allow you to do what you want without losing any data on the other partition, however, I'm not sure whether it will work wt OS10. Check it out on Google. Please post back with results.

User uploaded file

5 replies

Mar 3, 2012 12:20 PM in response to John and Vicky Lawson

You can install 10.3 over the top of 10.1.

Perhaps you can send the iPartition folks a note.

For pre-sales, please contact sales@coriolis-systems.com.

They have prior versions of iPartition that would work on earlier version of Mac OS. Don't seem to find how to access on there site. ebay?

I'm running Mac OS X off of an external firewire drive right now.

Maybe you could back up your system to an external harddrive then partition then reload.

You need an external Firewire drive to boot a PowerPC Mac computer.

I recommend you do a google search on any external harddrive you are looking at.

I bought a low cost external drive enclosure. When I started having trouble with it, I did a google search and found a lot of complaints about the drive enclosure. I ended up buying a new drive enclosure. On my second go around, I decided to buy a drive enclosure with a good history of working with Macs. The chip set seems to be the key ingredient. The Oxford line of chips seems to be good. I got the Oxford 911.

Has everything interface:

FireWire 800/400 + USB2, + eSATA 'Quad Interface'

&

save a little money interface:

FireWire 400 + USB 2.0

This web page lists both external harddrive types. You may need to scroll to the right to see both.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

--------------

I suggest you get an external firewire harddrive and clone your startup disk.

Carbon Copy Cloner will copy your startup drive to an external firewire drive. You can boot from the external drive to verify that you have a good clone. When you upgrade your existing startup drive, you can at any time boot from your external drive and go back to your existing system.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless. Its incredibly clear, friendly interface is understandable, easy to use, and SuperDuper's built-in scheduler makes it trivial to back up automatically. And it runs beautifully on both Intel and Power PC Macs!

Give SuperDuper a workout on your own system. Clone to your heart's content — for free. See what else is possible. When you're convinced that SuperDuper is a terrific solution — and a great value at $27.95 — you can register right from the application and start using its advanced features immediately!

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Will partitioning a disk erase Mac OS 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.