Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving onto an External Harddrive

I'm trying to make a backup for my Final Cut Project, since right now I only have them on the internal drive. The External Harddrive is a Seagate FreeAgent Goflex Drive if that helps. Anyways, I'm following the intructions here, [url]http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.3/#verb6acb2fb[/url], but my drive isn't showing up. Just the internal drive. So how can I backup my files?

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:07 PM

10 replies

Mar 2, 2012 12:17 PM in response to T.M.A.

Whwn you say your drive is not showing up...can you see it in the finder? or just not within FCPX?

To do it properly I think you should create a folder called Final Cut Pro Projects and also one calledFinal Cut Pro Events...named identically as. in your hOme folder. at the TOP of the backup drive file strucure...at the root level as they say.

Then call your backups in those folders diffrent to your home folder so...myProject1Bck1 and myEvent1bck1

or similar

I hope that is accurate.

Mar 2, 2012 1:53 PM in response to T.M.A.

TMA,

I don't understand the question. The reason your external hard drive is not being recognized is because it is not formatted correctly for the purpose you are using it. It was pre-formatted for use in a Windows environment, not for Mac OS X. Macs have very limited support for the NTFS format.

Some hard drives come pre-formatted for Mac and are advertised as such. If you're uncomfortable reformatting the drive, then you may want to return it and purchase one of those.

~D

Mar 2, 2012 5:52 PM in response to T.M.A.

Depends what you think suits you...

Projects only is a bit dodgy because if you lose the original events then there is no backup of the events. If you do used clips only then you will not be able to use stuff that you didnt use in the original project. project and referenced events means you get the lot but it will take up more space...

thats how i read it.

I would stick with option 2 in the dialogue and you should have everything when it comes to a mad panic time....or even in the distant future when you think "I wish I had that other footage"

Saving onto an External Harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.