Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac isn't finding my apple TV

I cannot make my iMac find my Apple TV. I've had both for over a year. I don't use the Apple TV regularly. So, I"m trying to set it up now and it has given me the code to enter into the iMac, but the iMac won't recognize the TV. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:58 PM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2012 6:00 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Alley Cat,

Thank you very much for helping. Yes it is the old silver Apple TV1. It's a great little product (I have an Apple TV2 at my other house).

Most likely I have installed OS Lion and have not used the Apple TV since the install.

So, the Apple TV is working on my TV screen. The menu is up. No problem. It is connected to my network. But, when I try to find my shared photos, it says I need to connect to my computer. it gives me the 5 digit code. Normally, I would go to the computer, see APPLE TV on the shared devices list and then pair them up. At this point, the iMac is not seeing the Apple TV at all. I've tried turning bluetooth on and off. I've tried going into Sharing. None of this does anything to help the Mac see the Apple TV.

Mar 3, 2012 6:06 AM in response to Wendy1010

Hi Wendy

You probably meant wi-fi not Bluetooth (it doesn't use that) - if you've not done so try restarting your router and iTunes.

Did you install Lion over an existing installation including itunes which was previously paired to the AppleTV?

If so it should still be working. If you did a 'fresh' install of Lion wiping your existing setup clearly they need to be paired.

Not sure if your old AppleTV was 'syncing' with iTunes or 'streaming' but go to Settings>Computers on AppleTV and see if there are any computers currently listed.

AC

Mar 3, 2012 6:38 AM in response to Wendy1010

Sometimes it or itunes just loses communication and fails to re-establish unless you restrat several components - minor annoyance so long as it works now.

Out of interest how do you like the AppleTV2? I do miss the onboard storage but think it has come on since release - much of the usefulness has been recent for me - for example we've only had Netflix in UK for a few weeks, and being able to play TV Shows and music from the internet is a great boon - potentially I could just take a small AppleTV2 on holiday and not need a laptop with itunes on it too provided there was internet acces! AppleTV1 of course could just be preloaded with content and you needed nothing else.

AC

Mar 3, 2012 6:43 AM in response to Alley_Cat

I probably haven't used the Apple TV2 enough to know the difference. We have Hulu here that provides a lot of TV free. So, I haven't felt the need for netflix. Hulu blocks access to anyone coming in from non-US locations, but a VPN would fix that.

I lived in Asia for 10 years so I know what it is like to want unlimited access to TV and movies. The best solution was Slingbox, but you need to install it on an American cable box. I even use it here sometimes. You can watch anything from your cable box on a computer or personal device, even watch the DVR recorded shows.

Wendy

My Mac isn't finding my apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.