Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I edit my profile on iChat?

I need to change the email address im using on ichat, but when i go up to iChat in the taskbar the option to edit profile is greyed out. I havent been using ichat for long and am just starting out. All help is much appreciated(: thanks, please reply!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 6:43 PM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2012 11:40 AM in response to j'aime737

HI,

The iChat option to edit your Profile is for AIM Logins. (AIM and @mac.com or MobileMe and iCloud name Logins)

If you do not have a Buddy List that Logs in to AIM then the option to Edit the Profile is greyed out.

Actually to be precise you have to be logged in with that Account/Screen Name (I logged my AIM logins out to check).

Can you be a bit clearer about what it is you are trying to do ?

In many cases the email address is the ID or Screen Name that logs in to the server.

MobileMe issued @me.com names will tend to run out as the MobileMe account runs out (Stop working)

@mac.com names work forever (Lapsed Paid for accounts still works as Valid AIM Screen Names.

Any AIM Account that had a linked email for password recovery or the security questions would need changing at AIM (your account info at AIM Settings)

User uploaded file
7:39 PM Saturday; March 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Why can't I edit my profile on iChat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.