Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband and MIDI keyboards?

I've been using Garageband for a while to record inputs such as electric guitar and mandolin, but I'm likely to soon purchase a MIDI keyboard controller to use with Garageband's synth options. I know basic options like modulation and velocity are supported, but some MIDI controllers have support for additional controls, to be assigned to software parameters.

My question is this: on such a MIDI keyboard, would it be possible with Garageband to assign these extra assignable controls to software synth parameters in Garageband, such as attack or decay?

If so, how do I do this?

I'll probably get a Alesis QX49, if that helps.

Many thanks!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:23 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2012 2:00 PM in response to henrytd

This is an update to my post on April 29.

I have kept trying to get the M-Audio Oxygen 25 to control more than just note input, and I DID get it to work properly. I took exhaustive searching on the M-Audio support website, and when I downloaded the proper software called DirectLink, and installed it on my MacBook, I figured out how to set the preset on the keyboard to P 10, and all the knobs and the slider and other buttons did what they were suppose to.

The Oxygen 49, 61, and 88 key midi controllers do even more (more sliders).

Problem solved! If needed, when I have more time, I can point to more specific files, etc.

Henrytd

Garageband and MIDI keyboards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.