Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chipset upgrade

I have an iMac 8, 1 with the Intel Core 2 Duo. I've been contemplating buying a newer iMac for faster processing of my photos (I'm a photo enthusiast) but was wondering if I could upgrade the CPU instead to a faster Quad Core like the Intel I7 or similar. Please advise.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac 8, 1 Up to 6GB RAM & 2TB HDD

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 9:28 PM

The only things upgradeable in iMacs are RAM and - but not for the faint of heart - the hard drive. The processor and graphics cards are not. How much RAM do you have? Maxing that will be helpful.

3 replies

Mar 2, 2012 9:39 PM in response to babowa

Thanks for the reply. I maxed my iMac to 6GB according to several sources saying that that was the maximum it could be upgraded to. There is a noticeable difference but there's still some lag on huge batch processes which is understandable but hence my curiosity for wanting to find more ways to increase its speed. But if iMacs can't upgrade there CPU, I guess my question is answered. Thanks again.

Chipset upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.