Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical drive ejects Windows 7 install disk

I am running Snow leopard 10.6 on a late 2008 MacBook Pro. I have been trying to install windows 7 64bit through bootcamp, but when I get to the part where it asks for the disk, the optical drive ejects the disk! Anyone with a solution?

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 3:49 AM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2012 6:33 AM in response to Shootist007

I have gotten 'chatised' for the fact that you can trick Boot Camp Assistant and add a string to the plist to add USB-DVD same as macbook air and others to boot a Windows installer. Windows is okay with USB, even thumb drives for installer.

Can't help with bad superdrive, some work internally but not in an external case, so people that moved theirs external to add more useful 2nd internal hdd (SSD) had to put theirs back for the install.

Mar 3, 2012 10:06 PM in response to BonbonNZ

Is this a W7 retail version DVD or is it an iso you downloaded and burned to a disk.

Are you talking about the W7 disk or the Boot Camp drivers disk it's asking for?

What does the Error say exactly, or as close as you can?

Does it spit it out if you already have the W7 disk in the internal drive before you start BC Assistant or when BCAssistant is done and it try's to boot into Windows to start the install?

Mar 4, 2012 12:28 AM in response to Jaygyver

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. I thought I'd run a laser cleaner through the drive first and see if it would make a difference as I never use the drive I thought it might be dusty. It seemed to work as BC was able to read the disk and kick off the install, however as soon as the install started, a black screen came up saying "Select CD-Rom Boot Type" which I wasn't expecting and had no idea what to do (I'm no techy!) so I quit the install and held down option on restart to boot the MAC OS>

This is a windows 7 legitimate install disk purchased yesterday from a PC build company. 64 bit. My Macbook pro 2008 model has an Intel core 2 processor (64 bit) so I'm pretty certain I am using the right windows version.

So I think this is over my head and I may take it to a store for install and hope for the best!

Thanks for your feedback

Optical drive ejects Windows 7 install disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.