Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I recover data from my iCal?

All the data from my iCal has disappeared. How do I recover it?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 4:41 AM

11 replies

Mar 5, 2012 3:53 AM in response to Pamfromvic

In that case I suggest you try the following. Your data has in all likelyhood been lost and this is in the off chance that it is still there.

First:

1. Quit iCal.
  2. Choose Home from the Finder's Go menu.
  3. Open the Library folder. (If you are using OS X Lion, you will need to hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu in order to access the Library folder.)
  4. Open the Calendars folder.
  5. In the Finder, delete the Calendar Cache files, including any that also display a -1 (or -2, -3, and so forth) directly after their filename.
  6. Choose Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu, then go to this location:
    /Library/Caches
  7. Drag the files located inside the "Caches" folder to the Trash (do not move the "Caches" folder itself, only its contents).

Then:

1. If you see the Sync menu in the menu bar, skip to step 4:
  2. If you do not see the Sync menu in your menu bar and you are not a MobileMe member, skip to step 7 below.
  3. If you do not see the Sync menu in your menu bar and you are a MobileMe member, you will need to enable Sync status in System Preferences. Follow these four steps to enable the Sync menu and then proceed with the subsequent troubleshooting steps as necessary:
    1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. From the View menu, choose MobileMe.
    3. Click the Sync tab.
    4. Enable the option to "Show Sync status in menu bar."
  4. Hold the Option key on your keyboard, then click the Sync menu in the menu bar. If you see the Sync menu but you are unable to open it, skip below to step 7.
  5. Choose Reset Sync Services.
  6. Click Reset Sync History.

Once you have done this, open iCal. It will try to rebuild your calendars.

Let me know how this goes.

Best wishes

John M

Mar 5, 2012 4:13 AM in response to John Maisey

I missed point 7.

7. Test for the original issue. If the issue persists, or if you are unable to open the Sync menu, follow these steps:

1. In the Finder, choose Utilities from the Go menu. Open Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type or paste the following command on a single line:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync .pl full

Mar 6, 2012 11:31 AM in response to MacBook Pro171513

Hi Naresh,

Turn off all syncing in iCal. This can be done by selecting the "Go Offline" item in iCal's Calendar menu. Then quit iCal.

The data for iCal is stored in ~/Library/Calendars (where ~ is the path to your Home folder). If you are using OS X Lion, you will need to hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu in order to access the Library folder. Restore the entire Calendars folder using Time Machine.

Open iCal and backup the Calendars in iCal using the instructions here. The instructions are for MobileMe, but are the same for iCloud.

Select "Go Online" from the Calendars menu.

Restore the Calendars in iCal using the instructions here.

Best wishes

John M

Mar 6, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Pamfromvic

I'm in similar boat. iCal in MBP lost all events, and even the calendars on left are all gone. The entire window has nothing.

Several days later, I decided to go from MobileMe to iCloud in iPhone 4S; that did and still works fine. The calendar in iCloud.com syncs with iPhone, but still not the iCal in MBP.

There are times when using MBP that I want to view iCal but no data is there, when I might not have access to internet.

Very troubling; I was and still am backing up to an external with Backup.

how do I recover data from my iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.