Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shake/FCP6, Video Card Compatibility

Hello,

I've been using Shake for my film. But I've run into snowballing display issues, and now the entire system locks up after starting up.

I took it to a mac repair shop that trouble-shooted the issue: a bad video card. Since I need a new card, I'd like to get a faster one (current is at 256 MB RAM).

The shop suggested a Radeon HD 3870, 512 MB RAM card, as it would be compatible with my system. But since Shake is discontinued, I don't know how to check if the suggested card will be compatible with Shake 4.1 (and FCP 6).

Has anyone used this card with Shake or FCP 6? I'm especially concerned that the newer HD card will make Shake unstable, and may not work with FCP 6, which I don't think has HD compatibility?

If you have insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Therese

Shake 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 10:01 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2012 7:55 AM in response to theresekim

What is the model number? eg 1,1 or 3,1 or 5,1 or what?

My guess is 3,1.

If so, the ATI 58xx mac series will run as well as the nVidia 8800 GT or the Quadro 4000.

Shake doesn't really leverage the video card. FCP doesn't really leverage the video card. As long as the card supports the required video display, you should be good.

x

Mar 5, 2012 5:05 PM in response to theresekim

There is no such thing as a Mac Pro 5.8.

Click on the Apple icon on the Menu Bar and select "About this Mac" then "More Info"

In the window that opens, select HARDWARE. You should see "Hardware Overview" in the right side window.

What is the Model Identifier of the computer? If you have a Mac Pro it should be 1,1 or 2,1 or 3,1 or 4,1 or 5,1.

x

Shake/FCP6, Video Card Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.