Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming radio stops after 30 min

I couldn't seem to find this precise problem on this forum: I successfully launch and listen to various radio streams from the Radio Source list or from my Library, but they all just quit after about 30 minutes of play time. Station, artist, etc., are still displayed but I have to click the Play button again to restart them. No buffering issues that I'm aware of; cable modem; buffer set to Large; QuickTime Streaming set at 112 or 256 kbps to be on the safe side. What could be halting the playing consistently at ~30 minutes?

iMac 800 MHz G4 Mac OS X (10.3.9) iTunes 6.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2006 9:35 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2006 8:20 PM in response to balcodo

What happens if you try listening to a radio stream in a new user account? To create a new account, open System Preferences and click on Accounts. You may have to click on the padlock and give your admin name and password to create an account. Click on the plus sign in the lower right corner to create the new account. I see no reason to give it a password. You can delete this account later using using the minus key, although I have kept my second account to use for testing (the user folder only takes up 32 kb).

Jun 1, 2006 2:44 PM in response to Wm Leslie Howard

I'm having the same problem with iTunes and Windows media player. It's a little bit more precise though, I lose the feed on the hour and the half hour. Pop up and it indicates network stalled, just happened again 1 minute ago. I hit stop and click on the iTunes arrow and immediately the stream continues. I have noticed that if I listen to an archive from a radio station via Real it will continue for the whole hour without timing out or rebuffering. I'm beginning to wonder if my ISP is knocking me off to make me reload to save bandwidth. I have two powerbooks an iMac and a Fujitsu tablet and they all get knocked off every thirty minutes.

Imac g4 1.25 ghz w/ 20 Cinema, 2 Powerbooks, 2 Newton MP2100's, Fujitsu PC Tablet Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Jul 25, 2006 7:08 PM in response to Wm Leslie Howard

Has anyone figured this out yet? I performed a couple experiments today. First I opened iTunes and started streaming my favorite radio station, rebuffers on the 1/2 and hour and won't reconnect. Tried it with WMP and real player, timed out at the 1/2 and hour mark. Tried it connected via cable ethernet this time, faster downloads but still rebuffered on the 1/2 and top of the hour. Had all three Powerbooks connected via Airport, same thing, will not rebuffer. Opened iTunes on my tablet and it rebuffered and would not reconnect. Opened WMP on tablet and it played all day, it would reconnect on the 1/2 and hour without help whereas all my macs would not reconnect. Spent a lot of time in my Network Utility logs but I don't know what I'm looking at if it were staring me in the face.
Turned off my firewall and passive proxy, still rebuffering. This is ******* me off as this is my 49er station when the season starts.

Imac g4 1.25 ghz w/ 20 Cinema, 3 Powerbooks, 2 Newton MP2100's, Fujitsu PC Tablet Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Streaming radio stops after 30 min

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.