Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use ION VIDEO 2 PC on my iMac?

Can I use ION VIDEO 2 PC on my iMac? .....OR what can my friend use instead?

My friend has an iMac, she used to have Tiger 10.4, then upgraded to I think the Leopard, Snow Leopard, or even to Lion...she doesn't even know. The one thing that I think gave it a way was the PC part of Video 2 PC.....Apples are NOT PC's...right? An apple is an Apple, and a PC is everything else?

My friend bought this ION VIDEO 2 PC, but she has an APPLE iMac, not a reg. PC.

Not sure what Apple O.S. she has. She did have Tiger 10.4 OS, but may have upgraded to LION or at least Snow Leopard 10.6... ???

My Main question is this.....Can she use this ION VIDEO 2 PC device to capture video from either her HD Camcorder or analog camcorder? I don't know if she has iMovie or iDvd, then use the ION device to capture, then use her apple software to maybe edit/burn DVD's.

Thanks for any help! OR, does she need to return this, and then get something a little more iMAC friendly? ( ‘Grass Valley’ or ‘Pinnacle Studio’ software?)

She doesn’t know much about computers, not Apples nor PC’s. She doesn’t even know if she has the iMovie or iDVD installed on her iMac. I’m just trying to help her capturing video from both her Analog or digital camcorders, then burning to DVD.

iMac, iOS 4.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 2:06 PM

11 replies

Mar 3, 2012 3:02 PM in response to bozojim

According to this link from their official website, it is compatible with both Mac and PC: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/video-2-pc-mkii. And just as a side note, Apples and every other brand of computers are PC's (short for "personal computer"), but Apple wanted to differentiate themselves from the other manfacturers. But the operating systems are different, so it is easy to say PC (Windows) or Apple (OS X) to differentiate between the two systems when discussing software compatibility.

Mar 3, 2012 4:59 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

shldr2thewheel wrote:

Apples and every other brand of computers are PC's (short for "personal computer"), but Apple wanted to differentiate themselves from the other manfacturers.

OT: That is not quite correct. The term "personal computer" (common noun) emerged in the 1970s to distinguish microcomputers from minicomputers and mainframes.

There were a variety of architecture and platforms; great names from that age (Commodore, Wang) are now largely forgotten. Apple emerged in the second half of the decade with the Apple I personal computer.

At the beginning of the 1980s, IBM, dominant in the mainframe business, decided to enter the personal computer market, and it did so with the IBM 5150, or the IBM PC ("Personal Computer" -- proper noun). Due to several factors (including IBM's size and power) this platform became a virtual industry standard. While other platforms fell by the wayside, various manufacturers began to build "IBM PC-compatible" products; the terms then became "PC-comaptible", and, nowadays, just "PC".

As long as Apple's computers were based on a different processor architecture, they were personal computers, but they were not PCs. After Apple switched to the current Intel processor line, it became debatable whether its computers are PCs, or a different type of personal computer. I don't have the intimate understanding of the PC hardware platform necessary to have an opinion on the topic. For a good many people a "PC" actually means a Wintel machine, ie, a personal computer based on the Intel x86 (or compatible) architecture, designed to run under Windows; a Mac complies with the former, but not with the latter, so it's still not a PC in that sense.

Mar 3, 2012 5:59 PM in response to fane_j

you need to stop creating posts that are completely off topic in order to create an argument. You do this often, and others have noticed. Regardless if what I said was vague and you were looking to clarify, it provides no benefit to the OP in this case.I am unsubscribing to this thread so as to avoid any further responses towards me you may create.

Mar 4, 2012 4:52 AM in response to bozojim

bozojim wrote:

Some one told me about this similar device […]

I think you've already got your answer on AnandTech. At any rate, you friend should check her camera -- she may not need this device after all. If the camera is digital, there's a good chance she can connect it directly to the Mac.

But, if she doesn't even know what version of the Mac OS X she is using and what apps she has installed, she may encounter bigger problems than connecting a camera to her Mac.

Can I use ION VIDEO 2 PC on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.