Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reasons IMAP email account might not show emails?

I'm working with an IMAP email account (provided by Network Solutions) and while Mail seems to be accepting all of the account information (username, login, etc.), nothing is showing up in the inbox. Outbound works fine, but inbound is empty. When I check the webmail interface, there is mail in the inbox... it is just not showing up in Apple Mail.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 3:59 PM

12 replies

Sep 19, 2017 1:00 PM in response to Tor Lundgren

IMAP and I recently fought vigorously. Me being the hero and doing things right and IMAP, aided by his clients, setting traps to prevent me from savouring it's contents. IMAP's weapon of choice was folder confusion. If IMAP sees any chance of accusing you of using duplicate folder names, it may punish you with utter silence.

So, remove all duplicate folders, even if they don't appear to be duplicates. Check all subfolders. If you leave the deleted folders in the trash, IMAP may punish you. So empty the trash. Check all client applications for local folders. After all this, reassign the right folders in the IMAP client. Do it twice, to be sure.

When I did al this everything worked. For a little while. After I stopped using the client that insisted on creating a local trash folder everything kept working.

I sincerely hope that after all these years this will solve your problem.

Mar 6, 2012 9:20 AM in response to Tor Lundgren

I'm having the same issue. IMAP account on a mail server I administer is not showing any messages, but it sends email and "Get Info" shows correct information. I have other mail boxes setup identically that work fine; just one recently added IMAP account that doesn't display messages in the main inbox. Subfolders, created via webmail, show up fine.

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, rebooting, etc. Nothing has worked. On the last re-boot of my MacBook Pro I briefly saw messages in the inbox, but then they disappeared again. Very odd!

Mar 6, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Brian Davidson2

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone out here... :-)

I did a little more testing myself, which included testing the account with 'Sparrow' – a nice, light-weight email client – just to see if the issue was Apple Mail specific. Nothing in Sparrow, either.

So I've tested a couple of different computers, and a couple of different emails clients. That is starting to make me thing that there is some configuration issue on the server side, maybe in conjunction with some unusual setting on the client-side. Unofortunately, I don't manage this server, and I don't seem to be able to actually communicate with anybody at the company that runs the 'service' (Network Solutions), so it is slow going.

For the moment, I actually switched to using POP to access the account – which does work, but has all the usual POP drawbacks. Hope to get IMAP working, but so far it is an uphill battle.

Mar 18, 2012 8:41 AM in response to Tor Lundgren

I've been having these same symptoms for some time now:

- Standard IMAP account

- iPhone Mail / iPad Mail / OSX Sparrow / iPhone Sparrow / Thunderbird / Web interface all see messages in the inbox

- Apple Mail app does not see any messages

I found a solution that works for me. Look through all the folders in your IMAP account. You should have only one INBOX folder, the main one. If you have any others called "Inbox", move the mail out of them and delete the folders. Beware that you are deleting the phantom Inbox folders and not the real one. This solved the issue for me. For instance I had a folder called "Inbox.Trash" that was separate to the main INBOX folder.

I had to use OSX Sparrow to do this maintenance, I couldn't find any other tool that would give me such control over the folder structure. Preferences -> Organise -> Folders

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Aug 6, 2012 7:52 AM in response to rprout520

I haven't tried all of the tips in earlier correspondence but I seem to have exactly the same problem. I am using an IMAP account with Network Solutions, OK receiving email into mac mail but can't get any incoming mail. Everything is fine with my iPhone and Network Solutions webmail site. I changed from POP3 to IMAP so that I could use iCloud etc to get synchronised email and contacts on the move - so far this is blocking that ambition! Any ideas welcome. May have to change back to POP.

Aug 22, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Tor Lundgren

I have just forwarded this thread to NS. I have been unsuccessful getting through to them. They have insisted it's a problem on my end when that can't be so. Even before seeing this thread I explained to them that it will appear on a brand new Mac as well as on an ipad, therefore it can't be a local problem, software problem, nor OS problem. Their response was to pay $99 for My Time Tech support (their new product which is basically to make you pay now for the free tech support they're supposed to be providing).

I can only hope forwarding this thread will finally force them to do their **** job.

Sep 15, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Tor Lundgren

I'm having a similar problem with my NS email account. Receiving mail just fine on my phone and computer, but not my ipad. The computer and phone have been set up for awhile, while the ipad is a new set up. Other things I've noticed is if I search for a specific email, it will find it on the server. Also, the status flashes that it is downloading email for a second. Were you ever able to come up with a solution?

Oct 9, 2013 9:31 AM in response to sandyspada

I'm having the exact same problem. I recently upgraded to Network Solutions Pro mail. I've tried setting up a new mail account on a different user account, rebuilding the mailbox, deleting preferences, envelope settings, etc. I no longer get new email for my POP account or IMAP account. My iphone and iPad both recognize and download new email though. I've updated to 10.8.5 which included a mail update as well.

Connections are working fine, both incoming and outgoing connections are verified. When updating for new mail, the activity will show new messages and a size for the new messages, but they do not download to my inbox. Clearly my credentials are fine otherwise it would not connect and see new mail being available.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Reasons IMAP email account might not show emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.