Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine VERY Slow

I am running time machine, using a freshly formatted FireWire drive (connected via FW 400). Time Machine, as expected, is copying most of my hard disk onto the backup drive. However, the copy is going EXTREMELY slowly for some reason. It's going at about 1GB/hour, which is slower than my internet speed. I don't get it. At this rate, it will take a couple of weeks to backup my hard disk, and that's if I leave my computer on 24/7. There's nothing wrong with the drive itself or the connection because I've tried copying files and normally 1GB transfers in a matter of minutes, if that long. I've read some forums that suggest turning off time machine, trashing the backup, and starting from scratch. I did that, and the speed is the same. Any idea what gives? Does time machine simply not work unless you're willing to leave your computer on and connected to the backup drive 24/7 for weeks at a time?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 5:47 PM

11 replies

Mar 4, 2012 1:23 AM in response to Ben-NYC

Several people here proposed different solutions to the same problem, so you might want to check it out. I've long cease to use Time Machine in favor of syncing my Home folder with its back-up equivalent over my home network, and it takes about one hour for about 40Gb of personal data. I suspect some heavy rewrite somewhere along the way, but I let it go, and I haven't lost a byte of data in over two years.

Mar 4, 2012 4:49 AM in response to Ben-NYC

Hello:

An initial backup (what you are doing) is quite slow - but measured in hours, not days.

Incremental backups are very fast.

By the way, Time Machine only copies data - not the entire drive.

Barry

P.S. (edit). I am a bit paranoid about backups, so I have several - both Time Machine and bootable clones made by SuperDuper! ($28 US at www.shirt-pocket.com).

Message was edited by: Barry Hemphill

Mar 4, 2012 4:52 PM in response to Ben-NYC

Ben (NYC) wrote:

I am running time machine, using a freshly formatted FireWire drive (connected via FW 400). Time Machine, as expected, is copying most of my hard disk onto the backup drive. However, the copy is going EXTREMELY slowly for some reason. It's going at about 1GB/hour,

That should run at, very roughly, 50-55 GB/hour.

See the green box in #D2 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting for some possible fixes.

Mar 12, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks Pondini. I had to stop it and restart it about 4 times and then it finally decided to speed up. I don't get it. I had let it run for about 20 hours straight and it had gotten almost nowhere (about 15 GB of data). Really strange, but hopefully will be working now. Unfortunately, it seems to be missing some crucial files in the backup, but I will post on a new thread to determine how to resolve that one.

Barry, thanks for the reply, but sorry I don't understand. Clearly, DATA is what is being copied. DATA is copied from one disk onto another - that's how copy works. What else would I have meant? And whether you measure the time in hours or days, it's the same amount of time 🙂, unless you're saying that it should take less than a day, which was my point initially and the reason for the post. Thanks for the feedback anyway. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved with regard to certain files failing to copy.

-Ben

Mar 12, 2012 11:10 PM in response to Ben-NYC

Same as when you burn data on a disk, the data to be burned is first buffered on your hard drive. That goes the same for any data transfer from one place to another: the data is first stored on the source drive (provided it's writable) in chunks, then written/transferred onto the target drive/disk. If you don't have enough free space on your source drive, then the data has to be processed into smaller chunks before it's buffered, then transferred. If you need to transfer, say, one big video file, and your free space is inferior in size to this file, it'll have to be cut into pieces before it's actually transferred, and this will take some time. It adds a layer of security to your back-up: if there's a power outage mid-backup, the buffered data isn't lost to the transfer process. It won't have to be processed again when the power's back on.

Jul 7, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Ben-NYC

For those who have found time machine slow - i found a fault that may help some people.

I have a LaCie 3T drive with thunderbolt - divided into 3 partitions - one of which was an ExFat drive.

This (ExFat) was the problem - either eject it or format it to Mac OS Extended.

Time machine doesn't like any partition in ExFat.

start time machine again - problem solved - 250gig of backup in 35 minutes

Mar 18, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Ben-NYC

I have been having the same problem with Time Machine since upgrading to Yosemite.

Specifically, TM now will backup (on USB 2) only 0.5 GB/hour, which means that it will take several *months*(!) to backup the drive, rendering TM essentially useless.

In contrast, on the same iMac, Carbon Copy Cloner backs up about 50-100GB/hour, that is, some 100-200x faster than TM!!

The iMac has 32GB of RAM, is NOT using any USB hubs, and we have tried multiple external drives, cables and USB ports. But still TM will not back up properly. We even tried increasing the TM process priority (using "renice") and that helped, but only a little.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this situation? I have spent hours on the phone with Apple Level 2 support, and they cannot fix it. Can you?? 🙂

Best regards,

Evan

(Manhattan)

Time Machine VERY Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.