Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is hide/show toolbar button?

Hello all,

I have purchased Aperture as a retail package, and I am running Snow Leopard. I have a "hide/show Toolbar" button in the upper left of the title bar, as indicated in the included screenshot.

User uploaded file

I used Aperture on a friend's machine, and he does not have the oblong "hide/show toolbar" button. His OS is Lion with Aperture installed from the Mac Store.

Does anyone have any ideas about why he would not have this convenient button, while I do?

nathan

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture 3.2.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:43 PM

I'm sure our veldt-mates will speak up, but in the meantime:

http://groups.google.com/group/xmind/browse_thread/thread/8498944754aa4504?pli=1

And try "Command+Option+T", and look in the View menu.

6 replies

Mar 3, 2012 10:44 PM in response to Mr Endo

Hello Nathan,

if you want a button in the toolbar to toggle it on and of, you could do the following:

• Create an AppleScript to toggle the Toolbar on and off
  • Save the script as an application
  • Assign a nice icon to it, just like the drop of toothpaste, the button used to look like
  • Drag the Apple Script to your Finder toolbar

This AppleScript seems to toggle the toolbar - I have not done much testing so far:

(* Toggle the Finder Window Toolbar , Autor LDF *)

tell application "Finder"

activate

set wi to front window

set vis to (get toolbar visible of wi)

if vis then

set (toolbar visible of wi) to false

else

set (toolbar visible of wi) to true

end if

return vis

end tell

The only problem is, you can easily hide the toolbar this way, but once the toolbar is hidden, you cannot turn it on again, since the button now is hidden 😟, so you may wish to put a link to the script in the Dock as well

Cheers

Léonie

Mar 9, 2012 5:40 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Finally back online.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

If anyone is still listening, how about this question: what is the difference between my machine and my friends machine such that that oval is on my title bar, but not on his? Is this a Lion versus Snow Leopard difference? An App Store versus retail package difference? Any thoughts?

nathan

Where is hide/show toolbar button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.