Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac does not shut down nor Restart

Hello Community,

since several months I have a problem with my iMac running on OS X Lion. The computer does not shut down!!! When trying this, it seems to work normal until the grey screen appears with the rotating circle in the middle. This status remains and remains and remains and remains...... The only thing to shut the computer down is then the "hardware shut down" by the power switch. Certainly not menat to be. The strange thing is, that even a Restart after software updates does not run through as it should, it also is hanging at this point....

I have tried almost everything which I could find on user boards: SMC reset, harddisk repair, even OS X Lion reinstallation - nothing solved the issue.

Anybody around here with a brilliant idea?

Thanks...

Gerhard

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 3:42 AM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2012 9:32 AM in response to gerhardfromtiefenbach

Hi:

That would indicate that something is wrong with your main account - possibly a preference file. Take a look at the preference files and see if one jumps out. Unfortunately I would be guessing if I pointed you and anything specific.

FYI..... Preferences files are rebuilt automatically by OS X with default values as needed.

Barry

Mar 6, 2012 3:36 AM in response to jas0nyan

jas0nyan wrote:

I have same problem with my MacBook Pro.

Maybe it is caused by iCloud or iTunes (iTunesHelper) ?

I do not think it is an iCloud issue, the problem started long before iCloud. iTunesHelper? I don't know, not using it. And my MacBook still behaves as it should. The only difference was a test version of Kaspersky AntiVirus for Mac, which I installed on my iMac. Right after that the iMac started stalling on shutdown. After a couple of days I removed ths SW again, and by using TrashMe I think it is gone 100%. But the problem persists....

iMac does not shut down nor Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.