Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this startup screen mean...?

Well.....yesterday my MBP wouldnt go on the Internet, even though I had good signal strength with my APE.

So I tried to restart my MBP but when I did that, I got this (see pic #1) instead of the normal gray apple logo (see pic #2), when the computer boots up. It just kept on blinking with that earth icon, not booting or anything else. So I did a hard reset, by holding down the power button and started my MBP again......and this time I worked.

So my question is this: What was it....what does it mean...?

Weird flashing image when booting:

User uploaded file

Normal boot image:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 5:00 AM

That is the Internet boot loading screen. That is what you get when you are booting the system from the Apple Web servers. The system used to run the Internet Apple Hardware Test or if you use the Apple Lion Internet Recovery HD system.

More then likely the reason it was blinking was because of your APE not having a good internet connection.

When you restart if you hold down the "d" key it will take you to the online Apple Hardware Test or if you hold down the Option+Command+r keys it takes you to the Online Lion Recovery HD system. Actually booting the computer from across the internet.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2012 5:00 AM in response to XXRichXX

That is the Internet boot loading screen. That is what you get when you are booting the system from the Apple Web servers. The system used to run the Internet Apple Hardware Test or if you use the Apple Lion Internet Recovery HD system.

More then likely the reason it was blinking was because of your APE not having a good internet connection.

When you restart if you hold down the "d" key it will take you to the online Apple Hardware Test or if you hold down the Option+Command+r keys it takes you to the Online Lion Recovery HD system. Actually booting the computer from across the internet.

Mar 4, 2012 5:13 AM in response to XXRichXX

XXRichXX wrote:

Okay, so it was prob. my APE that caused it. I suspected that this was tha case. 😁

But thanks for the adwise about the online booting, might come in handy some day. 😉

No I don't think so.

Look at the article that fane_j linked to. It seeems your MBP had a problem starting up as in that article it also says that you might get that screen when that happens.

So it is definitely a problem with your notebook as you didn't hold down any key combos to bring up that screen.

Mar 4, 2012 5:14 AM in response to XXRichXX

XXRichXX wrote:

Well my MBP is prob. a bit confused about witch OS version it runs. 😉

But thanks for the link, have bookmarked it, so if it happens in the future i will be able to look it up with my iPhone.

Thanks and have i great weekend to the both of you. 🙂

Go to the Apple Logo in the menu and select About This Mac and it will tell you which version of OS X you are running.

Mar 4, 2012 5:34 AM in response to XXRichXX

Yeah I'd go into Disk Utility and run the Varify Disk and if any problems are found run Repair Disk. Then just for the heck of it run Repair Permissions.

Then when all that is done you may want to run the Apple Hardware Test to check out the hardware in your system.

If this is an older MBP the original AHT can be found on one of the 2 DVD discs that came with your system or you can try to run it from the internet. Not sure if your model MBP supports the online AHT.

Mar 4, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Shootist007

I did the harddisc control and it said that there dident seemed to be any problems with the disc.

Then i did the permit control and this is what it wrote:

The frases ”bruger afviger” and ”grupper afviger” means ”user/group deviates” , plus the frases ”skulle vére” and ”skal vére” means ”should be” and ”shall be” in english.

So the first line reads:

User deviates on “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”; should be 94;user 221

and so on.

Kontrollerer tilladelser til “Macintosh HD” ”Controlling permits for Macintosh HD”

Bruger afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”; skulle vĂŠre 94; bruger er 221.

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”; skal vĂŠre 94; gruppe er 221.

Bruger afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd/locales”; skulle vĂŠre 94; bruger er 221.

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd/locales”; skal vĂŠre 94; gruppe er 221.

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; skal vĂŠre 80; gruppe er 0.

Kontrol af tilladelser férdig ”Control of permits finished”

Reparerer tilladelser til “Macintosh HD” ”Repairing permits for Macintosh HD”

Bruger afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”; skulle vĂŠre 94; bruger er 221.

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”; skal vĂŠre 94; gruppe er 221.

Reparerede “usr/share/collabd/webauthd”

Bruger afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd/locales”; skulle vĂŠre 94; bruger er 221.

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “usr/share/collabd/webauthd/locales”; skal vĂŠre 94; gruppe er 221.

Reparerede “usr/share/collabd/webauthd/locales”

Gruppe afviger pĂ„ “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; skal vĂŠre 80; gruppe er 0.

Reparerede “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”

Reparation af tilladelser férdig ”Repair of permits finished”

As you can see i have tried to do a repair, but it dossent seem to have done anything about the things written above. It still seems that my MBP deviates form the prefered numbers.

I dont know if this is a problem, what do you think...?

Mar 4, 2012 8:06 AM in response to XXRichXX

XXRichXX wrote:

I did the harddisc control and it said that there dident seemed to be any problems with the disc.

That's the important bit, and it's good news.

Then i did the permit control and this is what it wrote:

Ignore it. Those permissions are normal.

It's difficult to say what may have been the original problem. Use Console to view your logs, especially the system logs at the date when it wouldn't go on the Internet and when you tried to restart. This article

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4774>

is mostly about sending data to Apple, but it also tells you how to open Console and view your logs. (You don't have to send any data or reports to Apple.)

Mar 5, 2012 8:58 AM in response to fane_j

Well really dont have anything against Apple getting program data, witch they use to better there products. So if this was the case then i dont care.

Just looked at my logs, but really cant find something that stands out, so just think that next time i happens (if it does) then i will tjek the logs right away. 😁

Think i will close this thread...but thanks for all your help. 🙂

What does this startup screen mean...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.