Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 unusable after Security Update

I've talked to The AppleWorks group but without resolution: my iMac with 10.6.8 ran well until the latest Security Update (2012-001 vs. 1.1) Now AppleWorks won't run properly (under Rosetta). I can save nothing ("Unexpected error occurred #-51"). I can sometimes print but then AW hangs and requires Force Quit. Tried trashing prefs. etc., reinstalling AW, Applejack, etc. (I can Save docs, pics etc. in other apps.)

Unless someone knows what #-51 is and how to get rid of it, it seems I'll have to reinstall System Software. Do I:

1. Just reinstall from the supplied CD (10.6.6)

2. Erase the hard disc (factory setting) and reinstall and update to 10.6.8

3. I suppose there's no way I can do either without losing all my 'stuff'?

And what are the odds that AW will then run (after I presumably use Software Update which will include the Sec. Upd. above?)

I would really appreciate some help here because I'm getting desperate. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 6:48 AM

Bernard Stay wrote:

("Unexpected error occurred #-51")

Read this thread

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/342705?start=0&tstart=0>

it's got the explanation you're looking for and troubleshooting hints.

I shouldn't try to install v10.6.6 over v10.6.8 -- I assume that the installer won't want to do that anyway.

Why lose all your 'stuff'? You have a backup, don't you? Backup your 'stuff' and you can restore it later, after all the install is done.

after I presumably use Software Update which will include the Sec. Upd. above?

If you suspect that the Sec Update was the problem, don't install it. Software Update is not an implacable destiny -- it doesn't have to run on auto-pilot; you can choose what to install from available updates.

And what are the odds that AW will then run

My crystall ball just went on the fritz…

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2012 6:48 AM in response to Bernard Stay

Bernard Stay wrote:

("Unexpected error occurred #-51")

Read this thread

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/342705?start=0&tstart=0>

it's got the explanation you're looking for and troubleshooting hints.

I shouldn't try to install v10.6.6 over v10.6.8 -- I assume that the installer won't want to do that anyway.

Why lose all your 'stuff'? You have a backup, don't you? Backup your 'stuff' and you can restore it later, after all the install is done.

after I presumably use Software Update which will include the Sec. Upd. above?

If you suspect that the Sec Update was the problem, don't install it. Software Update is not an implacable destiny -- it doesn't have to run on auto-pilot; you can choose what to install from available updates.

And what are the odds that AW will then run

My crystall ball just went on the fritz…

Mar 4, 2012 8:36 AM in response to fane_j

Many thanks. Most useful. I got AW working as suggested by opening another User A/C. So far so good. I have moved my documents to the new a/c. What I'd like help on is: if as the new user I open Firefox, Safari, Mail etc. I get mint programs which I have to initiate. What I want is the mature programs complete with bookmarks, sent & rec'd mail etc. How do I go about substituting those for what appears now? Then I can get rid of the old user a/c and have automatic startup in the new one.

Thanks again.

Mar 4, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Bernard Stay

Bernard Stay wrote:

I got AW working as suggested by opening another User A/C

The new user account is a troubleshooting technique, not a solution. If the app works in the new account, then the problem is in the user domain -- ie, in your user folder, and you have to locate it. Most often, it's the app's corrupt pref file, or a corrupt template or cache or some other support file. I can't help you with the location of these files for AppleWorks, because I've never used it, and it's such old software that it can't even locate fonts properly.

I get mint programs which I have to initiate. What I want is the mature programs complete with bookmarks, sent & rec'd mail

The programmes are the same. You are talking about your user files and settings. Basically, you want to migrate your 'stuff' from one account to another. That's doable, but here's the problem -- with your files, you'll also bring along the corrupt file or files which cause AW to hang. So you'd be back to square one.

What you need to do is to complete the troubleshooting by locating the problematic file(s). And once you do that, there'll be no need to migrate to a new user account.

Mar 5, 2012 12:43 AM in response to fane_j

Thanks. Take the point. Diagnostic. A move to another user seems almost impossible anyway.

So, how to locate the rogue: I trashed everything I could find connected to AW before reinstalling it and that didn't work. Has anybody any idea please how to locate and trash or replace the troublemaker?

I'm too old for all this and am getting seriously suicidal. I bought the iMac to take over from my ailing G4 and now I can't use even that.

A question: if I go the reinstall system software route can I repersonalise my 1) Mail by replacing user/library/Mail folder with the one from my backup drive? and 2) Firefox by replacing user/library/application support/Firefox folder also with the one from backup?

Mar 5, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Bernard Stay

Bernard Stay wrote:

I bought the iMac to take over from my ailing G4 and now I can't use even that.

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I wish I could help you. Unfortunately, your predicament was predictable: but I'll leave the rubbing of salt in the wound for later. Let's see what we can do hic et nunc.

(1)

A question: if I go the reinstall system software route can I repersonalise my 1) Mail by replacing user/library/Mail folder with the one from my backup drive? and 2) Firefox by replacing user/library/application support/Firefox folder also with the one from backup?

First, there are three basic and easy to remember rules for using a computer successfully. They are:

1. Back up.
  2. Back up.
  3. Back up some more.

If you have at least two full current, tested backups, then, basically, you can try anything. If it doesn't work, just wipe it all out and restore from backup.

Back to your question, this

<http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/ss/moving-apple-mail.htm>

should answer it; haven't tried it myself, but it looks alright. You could use basically the same procedure to migrate your mail to the new user account (thus bypassing the need to re-install the OS), but the ownership and permissions would be wrong, so, afterwards, you'd have to reset them as described here

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274>

Remember, whatever you do, if you have a full, current, tested backup (or preferably 2), you can always go back to it (too bad life isn't like that).

(2)

A few additional suggestions on troubleshooting the problem in your current user account.

(a)

You can use Activity Monitor to try to identify files AppleWorks uses and which you might have missed. With AW running, open AM, select AW in the processes list, open the Inspector, and go to Open Files and Ports. You can copy the list and paste in a text editor such as TextWrangler (not a word processor like MS Word); then, eliminate from the list anything which is not in your User folder. Just sorting the list should be enough to show you that.

For instance, if I do it for Pages, I discover that it has accessed two files I should never have considered:

<~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb>

<~/Library/Fonts/Cabin/Cabin-Regular.ttf>

Also, look at stuff in </private/var/> and search for anything with 'cache' in its name.

(2)

You can also try to use Spotlight to locate all AppleWorks files in your home folder. Due to Spotlight's many shortcomings this is more tedious and hit-and-miss, but it might help. Select your Home folder, call Spotlight with ⇧⌘F, and then construct a complex query which looks like this:

User uploaded file

The string "kMDItemFSCreatorCode=BOBO" is case-sensitive, so you have to enter it exactly as it is. The "Raw Query" and other criteria are accessed from Other… in the "Kind" pop-up menu; if you don't see such a menu, the button to the right of "Save" will be a +, click on it.

BOBO is AppleWorks' creator code, so this query should find all docs in your home folder created by AppleWorks. The benighted Spotlight can't display or sort by path, so you'll have to take them one by one, but you can isolate some file you may have missed.

(3)

Finally, maybe it's time to consider abandoning AppleWorks altogether; it's been dead for 6 years now. Move all the files you've found with Spotlight query to one or more folders in </Users/Shared>, change permissions if needed, then open them from the new user account and save or export them in suitable exchange formats (PDF, RTF, CSV, etc). Then you can use them with iWork, or MS Office, or Open/Libre/NeoOffice or something else.

10.6.8 unusable after Security Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.