Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro i7 2.2Ghz - 16Gb??

I have seen online, in forums, and now retailers selling the Macbook Pro's with 16Gb?

I have the 2.2Ghz with 8Gb, i7 from around April 2011..

I spoke to apple and they say 8Gb is max, but all other ads, and online forums now say it takes 16Gb? 🙂

Is this true but not officially supported?

And does it actually see the full 16Gb or is it compromised because Apple say its not supported?

Am confused..?

MacBook Pro i7 8GB - iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 10:45 AM

16 replies

Mar 4, 2012 11:28 AM in response to buckaroo14

Your MBP will accept 16Gb of RAM. If you go to the web sites of OWC and Crucial, two of the best third party vendors, both sell 8GB RAM chips for MBP. They both guarantee that is will recognized and work successfully in a MBP. The technician that you spoke with was probably towing the official Apple line regarding RAM. When the first 2011 MBPs came out, Apple designed them for a total of 8GB of ram but subsequent events have proven they can accept 16GB.

If you have a need for that much RAM, feel secure that there will be no issues if you purchase it from either of the above two vendors, provided it meets all of the other specifications.

Ciao.

Mar 4, 2012 2:16 PM in response to tylercat

I have 8 GB of RAM in my 2010 MBP and the only times that I find that I need it is when I do some video compiles. 16 GB in a note book is a lot and I can only see the need if it is for some vocational purpose where computer time is a financial factor and if one is doing some very esoteric computations such as creating weather models and the like.

I would say that in the majority of cases where an individual has installed 16 GB of RAM in their MBP, all they have achieved is bragging rights (as well as having spent a lot of money).

Ciao.

Mar 4, 2012 11:29 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I wouldn't mind bragging that I'm loading 8GB worth of drum samples in BFD all loaded into the speedy bus of SS RAM verses loading it from the mechanical HD and then the HD passing it off slowly to my RAM.

I seem to find more and more users needing more RAM due to the abundance of modern day applications being written to take advantage of the high speed storage alternative. For example, sample triggering and their large libraries, video paging, O/S emulation such as Parallels, and audio production. After all, we're Mac users demanding the most from the intense tasks we throw at our machines daily. Not all of us are just emailers and pron-sorters. 😝

Mar 5, 2012 3:33 AM in response to buckaroo14

What ever you were running, your MBP was handling it well within its capacity based on the numbers you reported. Even if you get 7.98 used, by it self, does not mean that more RAM will enhance performance, unless the MBP starts swapping data which is measured by the 'Page ins' and 'Page outs'. Even then it is a question of the degree, hence the 10%+ ratio I mentioned in my prior response. If you find that in several sessions you meet this threshold, then more RAM is justified.

Probably in a year the 8 GB chips will cost $50 and we will be asking if 32 GB will be worth the expense.

Ciao.

Macbook Pro i7 2.2Ghz - 16Gb??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.