Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I literary cannot find Library/Preferences/System Configuration? HELP!!

Hello all!

I have searched through the community and seen many people have had the same problem i get the Alert:No internet connection exclamation mark and cannot access the internet. It happened to me once and the apple support people helped me solve it and i called again but apparently you have to have the apple support thing and its too damm expensive! anyways I remember the guy that helped me said to delete certain things.

I was looking through the internet to find what those things are and now i know, but the problem is now that i cant find that folder everyone speaks of, i know what to delete but i dont know how to get there. I literary have no idea how to get to library then preferences and then the system configuration. I have seen that you go to MAC HD or go to the apple, or system preferences but i just cant find is on my mac!

Can someone PLEASE help me.

Please and thanks

amarani

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 10:41 AM

15 replies

Mar 4, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Amarani

Click on the Apple cion that is on the far left of the menu bar then select System Preferences from the menu that drops down. When the System Preferences wwindow opens, click of the Network icon- 3rd row, 4th icon. This will open a window that you use to configure your network settings.

HTH

Mar 4, 2012 10:55 AM in response to Amarani

You have to Show all files to see ALL the folders and files on your drive. By Default OS X hides some of them.

Use this teminal command to show all folder and files.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

When you are done if you want to hide the normally hidden folder and files use the same command but change the YES to NO (All Caps)

You might have to type in your user password when executing this command and when you type in your passwprd it will not show on screen in terminal. So don't think it's not working. And you may have to hit the Enter/Return key after typing in your password. I don't remember.

Mar 4, 2012 11:04 AM in response to CDS1

CDS1 wrote:

In Finder, select Go to Folder... from the Go menu. Enter ~/Library into the box that opens. The user Library folder will open. You'll find the files you are looking for in the Preferences folder.

That will get him his Users/Username Library folder but not the ROOT Library folder.

For that you type in /Library

For the System Library folder it woulr be /System/Library

It's just earier to Show All File then everything is shown.

Mar 4, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Amarani

I did a search on my system for Networkinterface.plist ad there is no such file. I also use a Star *, which is a Wildcard, as the first character and still no file with that name.

Get EasyFind and use that to search for these files on your system. Once you download and install EasyFind and run it put a checkmark in the Include area for Invisible Files & Folder. Thaty will make the program search everywhere. Then type in the names of those files. The right click on the name and select Reveal In Finder.

Mar 4, 2012 12:09 PM in response to Amarani

Click on desktop and then Command F. Click on "Kind" then "Other" at the bottom. In the dropdown tick System Files. Are you searching in this way? I brought up 5 Configuration folders throughout the system. I knew which one you wanted from previous discussions.

Networkinterface.plist doesn't come up cause it is actually called Networkinterfaces.plist, with an "s".

RM

I literary cannot find Library/Preferences/System Configuration? HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.