9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2012 9:50 PM by andynick
Rick Smith Level 1 (140 points)

I have a website where I upload a daily one minute video, and I use the same song for the opening, and the same song for the closing. I have been trying to figure out why so much space is being used. One issue is that the songs I have been using for the opening and closoing are being uploaded over and over and over again.

What is the best way to do this so that the media isn't being duplicated over and over again? The files live in itunes, so is there any way to simply reference the file from the music folder instead of having to copy the media over and over again?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,500 points)

There is no way to do what you want with accuracy on a web site. You're trying to get the web site to play the music while it's playing the video so that you only have to upload the music once to the web site. The only way for the music to sync with the video correctly is to build it into a single file.

• Rick Smith Level 1 (140 points)

Thanks Tom, but I don't think I was very clear. I want each daily video I'm making to have certain musc for the title, and outtro. You can see samples of my videos by watching the first video on my site (http://noahsdad.com/)

I have to add that audio, and the audio on the end bumper every single time, which over time takes up lots of space. Is there a way I can use that same sequence (with the new data) without with being duplicated every time.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,500 points)

The music is not being duplicated in FCP if that's what you mean. There is one instance of the music on your hard drive, or there only needs to be one. The music is in the event where you imported it, and you use that music from the event in any project you want.

• andynick Level 5 (4,925 points)

Rick, you simply create a Compound Clip in the Browser (NOT the Timeline) and use that every day.

You're media won't be duplicated.

Andy

Thanks @andynick - Quick quiestion: I've never used compoud clips before. Do I make a seperate event for that?

No,you don't have to. Just right click the browser and select New Compound Clip (I think - away from FCP X at the moment).

Andy

Hmmm... I made the opening in motion, and have set it as a opening bumer. So what I typically do is drag it in to the project time line from the right side of the screen (where my bumbers are) and then add the audio (from itunes) on top of it. So that audio is being duplicated on every single event. This was the only way I knew to do it so I could easily change the date without having to always set the right keyframes. (If there is an easier way, please let me know.)

For the ending bumber I just use a small video clip I made and insert it in each timeline. So I'm assuming that is also being duplicated every single time.

I just checked some of my final cut events in finder and it looks like files are getting duplicted in each event. For example if I have 20 events that all use one jingle from the bunbled audio, it's getting put into each of those events, and it's also on the disk where it normally 'lives' ....

Why does this happen? And how do I fix it?

When you import files, leave the box that asks if you want to copy to event folder unchecked.

Once imported, right click the file and choose Show inFinder. That file should be a tiny reference file.

It sounds as though you're on the right track with the motion file.

Andy