6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 7:35 AM by leomore™
leomore™ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just got a new internet connection capable of 100Mbps (Ethernet).

I am not sure which modem/router to get. I would go for the AirPort Extreme but can it "run" at that speed?

Also, does the MacBook Air adaptor (Ethernet->USB) provides the same speed as the standard Ethernet port on a MacBook Pro for example?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB Ram
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (90,810 points)

I would go for the AirPort Extreme but can it "run" at that speed?

If you check the specifications, you will see that the AirPort Extreme can run at 1,000 Mbps or Gigabit speeds. But, the AirPort Extreme does not have an on board modem, so you will need to use a separate modem.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

does the MacBook Air adaptor (Ethernet->USB) provides the same speed as the standard Ethernet port on a MacBook Pro for example?

No. The Ethernet to USB adapter will support up to 100 Mbps connections

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC704ZM/A

• leomore™ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Bob.

I wrongly wrote 100Mbps, I meant 1,000 as you said.

WOW, that's impressive wireless speed. Thanks, I'll go for the Extreme.

(I have a modem which runs at 1,000Mbps cabled). So, I will need to connect the two devices with ethernet right?

I guess the MacBook Air will get the 1,000Mbps only in WiFi mode using the Extreme Station and not with the Ethernet USB adaptor, right?

Thank u so much.

• Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (49,465 points)

I wrongly wrote 100Mbps, I meant 1,000 as you said.

WOW, that's impressive wireless speed. Thanks, I'll go for the Extreme.

(I have a modem which runs at 1,000Mbps cabled).

I believe Bob was referring to the WAN & LAN Ethernet ports of the AirPort Extreme that are capable of 1000 Mbps speeds. The Extreme's 802.11n wireless, at best, will provide 300 - 450 Mbps.

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (90,810 points)

See the important information from Tesserax regarding wireless speeds. This is a completely different subject than Ethernet speeds.....which your original post referenced.

Thanks for clarifying that, Tesserax.

Thanks Bob too.

1. Can I boot from USB disks (attached to the AirPort Extreme)?

2. I attached many Mac OS Extended Disks to the APExtreme plus a USB printer. Everything works fine except the fact that I do not see the 2 USB Flash Drives on my local network and my DVD burner (they are connected to the Base also).

3. I clone my disks using Carbon Copy Cloner since many years (via FireWire or USB) making them bootable. Now that they are connected to my wireless network CCC says that they will not be copied the exact same way as before (because of some permission changes)??

4. I keep my huge libraries (photos, videos and music) on those hard drives attached. For example when I open Aperture it automatically selects my Library on the disk attached to the Extreme Base Station. IS THERE A WAY to do that remotely? (from office or the other side of the world??)

5. Can I access those disks with my iPhone 4S ? If yes, which App would you suggest (or SSH only)??