Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was given the option to switch to a base 15" pro. Should I?

Last tuesday I was gifted a 13" i5 Air to last me at least 4 years, this year and my first 3 of college. However, I was given the option to trade that in for a 15" base model MBP. However, being the indecisive person I am, I need help making the decision.

What I would use it for:

• Internet browsing with at lot of tabs open.
  • Using Word and Powerpoint, maybe some excel. A lot of school work.
  • Taking it from class to class with some text books. (Double the weight of the Air should not be much of a problem, sizemight be)
  • Editing some RAW format photos from a Canon t2i.
  • Maybe once in a blue moon editing 1080p30 video.Probably once a year.

Other things to consider:

• I will have my desktop to do heavy gaming, so thats not a problem.
  • The Air was bought from Best Buy, so I have to return it there to get the Pro there as well. (Sadly my dad purchased geek squad protection, if I return it I will most likely lose the money from the protection plan)
  • I cannot go for the Pro with the high res screen, so I'm stuck with the 1440?x900? glossy panel.
  • I might be able to put an aftermarket SSD in there, but not for a while, and the MBA has spoiled me with the SSD.
  • However, ability to upgrade the RAM is amazing for me.
  • I don't need a disc drive, last time I used one was around 4 years ago to install word 2007.
  • I plan to major in Computer Engineering/Compute Science, if that helps at all.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 2:32 PM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2012 2:44 PM in response to ArielLuque94

In favor of the Pro:

• MBA cannot expand memory.
  • Pro can run 16 GB RAM.
  • 15 in Pro has 2 graphics cards so it runs higher graphics applications better.

In favor of the Air:

• Lighter.
  • Possibly better battery life due to lesser demands on it.

Since the screen resolution and lack of "anti-glare" is fixed for your situation, the still very usable 1400x900 graphics of the Pro should not enter into the decision.

But the CompSci/CompEng would make *me* prfer the 15 in Pro despite its weight/size. My humble opinion.

What you should do is go to an Appple store and feel the size/weight difference, since portablilty in college is a concern.

Not sure why you would return it, necessarily, as it seems you will end up with a MB-something. Best Buy may not have the best technicians, but Apple honors the warranty on all Macs sold anywhere.

Mar 4, 2012 2:46 PM in response to ArielLuque94

Hi there:

It doesn't sound like you need tons of space, so I'd say stay with the MBA. I've never owned one, but I've seen them all over the place at the airports when I am traveling and they look very nice! I have close to 500 gb of media in between movies, TV shows and music and my MacBook Pro's HD is almost full! So a MBA will definitely won't be a good solution for me, but it sounds like it is for you.

Good luck in school!

Mar 4, 2012 3:48 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I could always buy a super drive, but really I don't even have CDs. I usually crete a backup of important school related things on 2 USBs I have, one which I will replace in a few weeks, it's coming apart.

Also I guess a MBP would really be a lot better for my major. Apple should have made a slim MBP without a dvd drive, I would have been all over it. I love the size of the size and weight of the MBA.

I'll head over to the apple store in a few days to feel the difference.

Mar 4, 2012 3:50 PM in response to ArielLuque94

ArielLuque94 wrote:

Mistype: If I exchange the MBA at best buy I keep the money, if I return it, I most likely will lose around 150-200$.

In read most of your first post but this one bother me.

Why would you lose money if you returned the MBA. Both Apple and Best Buy have a 14 day return policy with NO restocking fee. So if you returned it you would get all the money back including any Tax that was paid. Actually the person that bought it for you would get the full refund credited to their credit card.

Personally I see the MBA as a secondary type computer. Not a main computer for everyday uses as you are going to use it. They have limited storage space and if that can be upgraded it is expensive. Also the RAM can't be upgraded.

They are light and small but maybe to small for real work, even the 13" model. A Pad or large phone would fill the space the Air covers, IMHO, and they are lighter and smaller.

I would return the MBA and get the base model 15" MBP. It is simply a better computer.

Mar 4, 2012 3:58 PM in response to ArielLuque94

A "thinner MBP" would not be as poweful as full-sized MBP.

Every component (discrete/second graphics card, larger CPU, more fans to handle the heat) would limit the ability of anything as small as an MBA.

But then a unit as small as my 15 in MBP would be as powerful as current MBAs about 10 years ago. And the MBA-sized systems in 10 years will have the power of current MBPs and more. All about how small you can make a computer based on the "current" technology.

Mar 4, 2012 4:42 PM in response to steve359

Okay, I decided I will make the jump to a 15 inch MBP. The upgradable RAM and faster CPU will make it more future proof.

I really love the thiness of the MBA and how light it is, but I guess I really would need more when it comes to college and my studies.

Hopefully I can put an SSD at a later time.

Can't wait until we will be able to get MBP performance in a MBA body.

I was given the option to switch to a base 15" pro. Should I?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.