Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General Midi Plugin?

Hello guys,

i´m new to the whole mac-world (i´m still waiting for my macbook pro) and have a little question about logic express.

So, before I used Cubase on my PC-Laptop. But now i´m thinking of swithcing to logic express. I need a function for playback of general midi files. Is there such a function already built-in in Logic Express with sounds? A virtual GM-Module or something like that. Or can I continue to use the virtual soundcanvas vst-plugin from my PC?

Smartphone

Posted on Feb 24, 2006 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2006 9:52 AM

Search in Audio Units instruments the Apple DSLMusicDevice, it's a general MIDI module.

If you want just playback then open the MIDI songs directly in QuickTime player.

Keep im mind, too, that EXSP drum kits are mapped as GM.

cheers

rob
6 replies

Feb 24, 2006 12:43 PM in response to Trommeltier24

Sincerely I dislike GM modules (HW or SW), and with the arsenal of virtual instruments in Logic and all the good free AU plugins I won't bother with GM.

If you want just to hear a MIDI file use quicktime (that's the sound of the internal GM generator) but if you want a "special" result substitute each track with the right virtual instrument and you'll be ok.

If you want simply play MIDI and Karaoke files with some editing options for MIDI and EFX give a look at QMidi.

bye

rob

Feb 25, 2006 11:42 AM in response to clangwork

I need a GM Plugin just to playback some score-arrengements for my band and my orchestra. And to stay compatible with my bandmates and the conductor I need a GM Plugin that sounds more or less good. I don´t want to be remembered to a TG100 or something like that. Or in other words: I want let the arrengments sound better than the standard virtual soundcanvas from Windows 🙂

Feb 25, 2006 2:51 PM in response to Trommeltier24

The default Quicktime Musical Instrument is a Roland GM file of about 2mb and as such is mediocre. You can, however, substitute a much better GM Soundfont file, many of which are free from Soundfont sites on the web and can be accessed from QuickTime Player or Logic Express. You must put these sf2 files in /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks, and then select your choice in QuickTime System Preferences. Generally the larger the GM Soundfont file, the higher the quality. A SoundFont file, not a plug-in, will play any of the 128 GM instruments on any of 16 channels and understands all MIDI controllers, pedals, Program Changes, ReVerb, Chorus, Delay, etc. Some include the Roland GS additions.

Do a Google search to find my favorite GM Soundfonts:

Airfont 340.sf2 77mb
Musica Theoria v2.sf2 29mb
SGM-180 v1.5.sf2 175mb
FluidR3 GM.SF2 141mb - has GS additions available

To access Soundfonts in Logic Express without changing the default Quicktime Instruments, choose Apple DLS Services in the Channel Strip, then the preferred bank in the pop-up window.

Also search this forum for more info about using Soundfonts in Logic.

Hope this answers many of your questions. I do not know what "bandstand" is, but I'm willing to bet it isn't any better than the Soundfonts above.

General Midi Plugin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.