Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2012 3:45 PM by WilliamL
WilliamL Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

I have to continually stop and wait for my title to render every time I make a small change.  This eats up a lot of my time.  So, why do titles take so long to render?

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz 8-core, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Radeon 5770
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (111,340 points)

Depends on the title and the video. There are a lot of parameters that will effect render time, not least of which is the state of your RAM. Anyway, lot of factors, but unless you absoluetly have to render, don't bother. I usually just switch background rendering off.

• WilliamL Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)

Hi Tom,

I have a mac pro 4.1 with 8 cores (16 virtual) and 20Gs of RAM.  I would think that this is enough.  An hour ago I walked away from my mac and just returned; only 19% had been rendered!  If I look at Activity Monitor I only see Final Cut Pro X using about 125%.  I have 25Gs of free space on my start-up drive - I cannot find a way to specify a scratch disk (I have several others with much more free space) like with FCE of FCP7.  While in this state of rendering everything I try to do results in a spinning beach ball.  This is all very frustrating.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (111,340 points)

You set the "scratch disk" by assigning which drive the events and proejcts are saved on when you create them.

This slow down thing seems to be common with some systems, often systems with large amounts of RAM. Some think the issue is specific to Lion and the way it handles memory. If you have th opportunity you might try running Snow Leopard on another drive and see if that improves it for you. Building a new admin user has helped some.

Why another admin account; why not just another standard account?

I am sorry all but I am seriously rethinking my potential switch to FCPX.  I am in the fifth hour of rendering a 1-minute 10 second title.  I really cannot move on because I need to see what is happening.  The entire project hangs and I get the spinning beach ball of death (SBBOD) if I try to do anything else.  This all reminds me of when I had fairly large applications on my 9500 and it would get so far behind in executing commands that I had to stop, walk away, to let the computer catchup.  This should NOT happen on a 8-core (16 virtual) MacPro 4.1 with 20Gs of RAM.This just *****!

• Paul Veronin Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)

Why do you have to background render? Just disable it. You should still be able to preview your work and then selectivily render when the computer is idle. Background rendering doesn't work so great yet but will probably be improved. If you have a fast mac, that's even more reason to disable it, because you won't need it.

Ok, Paul, I turned off background render this morning.

Last night I left my machine on - MacPro 4.1 8-Core, 20Gs of ram, 1 TB internal drive.  13 hours later I had to stop with only 62 percent rendered of the 1 minute 10 second title.  In fact I had to Force Quit because FCPX was "not responding."  Is the trial version crippled in some way?  In am not trying to render the next Transformers movie.

If I were a someone who makes their living making movies and videos I would lose money having a machine tied up for 13 hours.

Tom,

I set up a Snow Leopard disk and tried rendering my project.  It did not have any effect.

• Wild Giles Level 2 Level 2 (335 points)

Did you say you only had 25 GB left on a 1TB start up Drive?

No sir, I have 25 Gbs left on my 120 Gb startup drive.  I have a 1 Tb drive where I store all my FCPX clips and projects are stored.  Do, the projects need to be kept on the same drive as FCPX?  I have the clips referenced, not copied.

I have been reading other posts about the slowness of FCPX.  Several sources have recommended increasing RAM.  Well I have 20Gs of RAM - but according to Activity Monitor FCPX is only using 2.6Gs!  There is over 13Gs of unused RAM!!!.  I have matched pairs; everything tests out correctly.  So I my machine broken?

• Wild Giles Level 2 Level 2 (335 points)

I think your render slowness my be related to your start up drive volume size. I strongly suggest freeing up 80 gb on your startup drive so that you have at least 100 gb of of free space on your start up volume.

• innocentius Level 4 Level 4 (1,755 points)

I think Wild, this is the major issue, and I would suggest, ad another fast internal drive for Projects and Events. No events or projects on the system disk.

That is exactly the situation I have.  I have a 120G SSD that is my startup drive.  It houses FCPX.  I have a second  1 Terabyte internal drive that contains all my events, projects, media, etc.

I do not see how I can free up 80 Gs on my startup drive.  There would be no room for anything else.

This whole issue is happening to my second project.  The first project - a ten minute collection of stills (283) with cross fades in-between renders quite quickly.

Previous 1 2 Next