Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing apple application support

I had to uninstall and re-install iTunes to get to the latest version (to support my new iPhone 4S). When I did that, I am now getting an error message that I am missing "Apple Application Support". I had disabled my firewall during the install to be sure all parts were downloaded to my machine. Help - I can't synch my new phone to get any of my apps! thanks for any tips.

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 5:43 PM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2012 6:02 PM in response to kevdogmom

Let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, does iTunes launch properly now?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Mar 4, 2012 7:18 PM in response to b noir

After following your instructions above, I got the following error message:

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b 3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86". Please refer to Help and Supportfor more information. HRESULT: 0x80073712.

Thanks in advance for any further directions.

Mar 5, 2012 1:13 PM in response to kevdogmom

HRESULT: 0x80073712

These ones are typically caused by underlying problems on the PC that also often cause Windows Updates to fail to install. If we can fix the Windows Update trouble, we can usually get the iTunes trouble cleaned up en passant.

Go into your Windows update and try to check for new updates. If updates install, stock up on the ones you're behind on, restarting the PC if requested to do so. After the restart, try installing iTunes again. Does it go through this time for you?

If windows updates fail to install, go into your Update History and doubleclick the failures. What alphanumeric codes appear for you? Are they also 80073712, or some other number? (If they're another number, what number are you getting?)

Mar 8, 2012 3:04 PM in response to b noir

I did load all the Windows updates (there were just a few) and checked for older updates that failed in the update history. The 5 that failed looked like they were successfully updated the same day as the original failures. What I now tried to do is move the laptop to be hardwired to the modem just in case the speed was not great enough. The current error message I am getting is "Services 'Apple Mobile Device' (Apple Mobile Device) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priviledges to start system services." My choices at the bottom of the box are: Abort, Retry Ignore.

I've tried Ignore and Retry. I'm guessing Abort will just bring me back to the original error messages I've been getting...

Any other suggestions?

Mar 8, 2012 3:10 PM in response to kevdogmom

More info to share.... I chose Abort to the error message described above and the iTunes continued to install. I got a "Congratulations you have successfully installed iTunes" message and then when I went to turn it on, I got the following message "Apple Apllication Support was not found. Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again. Error 2"

Mar 8, 2012 3:35 PM in response to kevdogmom

I got the following message "Apple Apllication Support was not found. Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again. Error 2"

Let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, does iTunes launch properly now?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

missing apple application support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.