Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto library is rapidly increasing in size

My iPhoto library is rapidly increasing in size (its over 100 gigabytes) and I was thinking about getting a home server to move the library to. If I move the library to the home server will a windows computer be able to read off the iPhoto library or would i need to export all my photos and videos and then put them onto my home server as just files and folders.

iPhoto '11

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 11:03 PM

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

So, unless you can find an appropriately formatted Server that's not going to work.

iPhoto has no cross platform ability whatever. Running a Windows app cross the library might well damage it, and much of the metadata - Faces, Places, Keywords, Album, Smart Albums and so on, simply will not be available to it.

If space is an issue you can easily move the Library to a disk appropriately formatted.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Regards

TD

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2012 11:03 PM in response to devon88888888

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

So, unless you can find an appropriately formatted Server that's not going to work.

iPhoto has no cross platform ability whatever. Running a Windows app cross the library might well damage it, and much of the metadata - Faces, Places, Keywords, Album, Smart Albums and so on, simply will not be available to it.

If space is an issue you can easily move the Library to a disk appropriately formatted.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Regards

TD

My iPhoto library is rapidly increasing in size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.