Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will restoring from TM back up of older MBP onto new MBP be an issue?

My old 13" Macbook Pro from Mid 2009 was stolen a week before Christmas (TT.TT) and I've finally been able to order a new one, it should be arriving in a week. I luckily had the Time Machine back up sitting at home, so all my files were safe and sound.

I am mostly wondering how to go about restoring the old files onto my new mac, as there are a few things that may or may not complicate the regular restoration process:

1) My old mac had 160GB hard drive, new one has 500GB.

2) Old mac was running Snow Leopard, and I want to use Lion on the new mac.

3) Old mac was partitioned in half with Boot Camp, 80GB to Mac OS and 80GB to Windows 7.

I know I can select the "restore from time machine" option in the main set up menu after inserting the installation disc, but how will this affect the storage, OS, and partitioning of the new Mac? Will I end up losing storage space? Will I be unable to upgrade to Lion? Will the restoration include the partition or not?

Also apparently you can get a refund for unused Applecare warranty... could I get a refund prorated to the day of the theft if I provide a copy of the police report? What is the contact information for getting such a refund?

And could anyone make any suggestions on how I can improve my chances of recovering a mac in case of theft? I will be a LOT more careful in the future, but if this ever does happen again I don't want to be relying on the Police Service requesting surveillance footage a month after it has been deleted as my only hope of recovery.

Thank you for the help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 9:52 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2012 5:58 PM in response to sachelle

sachelle wrote:

. . .

I know I can select the "restore from time machine" option in the main set up menu after inserting the installation disc,

No, don't do that. Don't restore a backup from a different Mac. Besides, Snow Leopard almost certainly won't run on the new Mac anyway. It will come with Lion.

Instead, use Setup Assistant when your new Mac first starts up, to transfer your 3rd-party apps, settings, user accounts and data from the backups. See Using Setup Assistant on Lion.

That will get your internal HD set up just like OSX was on the old one (except for things that are different on Lion, and there are a lot of them. SeeChanges in Lion from Snow Leopard).

Then use BootCamp Utility to install Windoze.

Will restoring from TM back up of older MBP onto new MBP be an issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.