Skip navigation

iCloud calendar with MS Outlook: fine on Windows, but no dice on a Mac?

370 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 2:30 AM by Roger Wilmut1 RSS
felibb Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 5, 2012 1:16 AM

I first checked out iCloud page: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html. Seems you can use Outlook on Windows with iCloud calendar.

Then I head over to MS support site to find this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2648915: "Outlook for Mac 2011 does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization."

What can I do to be able to use calendars in Outlook on a Mac? Is there a way to set up Outlook for Mac the same way as Outlook for Windows (i.e. without CalDAV)? What is that sorcery Windows version is using to get the calendar from the iCloud?

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (64,095 points)

iCloud hosts the calendars on its server and your various computers read them from there. The protocol for doing this is called CalDAV.

Outlook for Mac has not been equipped with the programming for CalDAV and therefore cannot access iCloud calendars. Outlook for Windows evidently has and can.

This is something only Microsoft can rectify and you could send them feedback suggesting they do this with all convenient speed.

Outlook on a Mac can only access calendars living under 'On My Mac' and these cannot sync with iCloud. iCal can sync with iCloud provided you have 1-.7.2 or higher.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.