Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen laptop

My laptop was stolen and I have now replaced it. I can't sync my ipod classic to the new laptop and I don't want to delete all the music is on there.It took me days to get it all off CD's. Is there anyway to copy music (copied to my IPod via Itunes) to my new PC. I did read one forum article that recommended some shareware but I'd prefer to avoid that route if possible. Surely there has to be some better way? I can't be the first person in this situation.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 7:16 AM

Music is intended to go one way: from your computer to the iPod. Going the other way is contrary to the design and is not trivial.

I can't be the first person in this situation.

You certainly aren't! See the "more like this" column to the right.

If you had a Mac and its hard disk failed, you would use Time Machine to restore its contents to a replacement disk. A disk failure would be a non-event, but you chose to replace your Windows computer with another PC. Too bad.

See this old post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2452022

Since it is so dated some of the links may not work.

iTunes will only give you the option to copy your iTunes Store purchases directly from an iPod to the computer, you'll find details in this article: Copying iTunes Store purchases from your iPod or iPhone to a computer
For everything else (music from CDs, other downloads etc) there are a number of third party utilities that you can use to retrieve the music files and playlists from your iPod. You'll find that they have varying degrees of functionality and some will transfer movies, videos, photos, podcasts and games as well. You can read reviews and comparis
ons of some of them here:
iTunes & iPod software
Wired News - Rescue Your Stranded Tunes
Comparison of iPod managers
A selection of iPod to iTunes utilities:
TuneJack Windows Only (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
SharePod Windows Only (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod2PC Windows Only
iDump Windows Only
YamiPod Mac and Windows
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows
Floola Mac & Windows
iPodRip Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
Music Rescue Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iGadget Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iRepo Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Access Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
TouchCopy Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
There's also a manual method of copying songs from your iPod to a Mac or PC. The procedure is a bit involved and won't recover playlists but if you're interested it's available on page 2 at this link: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2012 7:16 AM in response to pataj

Music is intended to go one way: from your computer to the iPod. Going the other way is contrary to the design and is not trivial.

I can't be the first person in this situation.

You certainly aren't! See the "more like this" column to the right.

If you had a Mac and its hard disk failed, you would use Time Machine to restore its contents to a replacement disk. A disk failure would be a non-event, but you chose to replace your Windows computer with another PC. Too bad.

See this old post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2452022

Since it is so dated some of the links may not work.

iTunes will only give you the option to copy your iTunes Store purchases directly from an iPod to the computer, you'll find details in this article: Copying iTunes Store purchases from your iPod or iPhone to a computer
For everything else (music from CDs, other downloads etc) there are a number of third party utilities that you can use to retrieve the music files and playlists from your iPod. You'll find that they have varying degrees of functionality and some will transfer movies, videos, photos, podcasts and games as well. You can read reviews and comparis
ons of some of them here:
iTunes & iPod software
Wired News - Rescue Your Stranded Tunes
Comparison of iPod managers
A selection of iPod to iTunes utilities:
TuneJack Windows Only (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
SharePod Windows Only (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod2PC Windows Only
iDump Windows Only
YamiPod Mac and Windows
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows
Floola Mac & Windows
iPodRip Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Music Liberator Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
Music Rescue Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iGadget Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iRepo Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
iPod Access Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
TouchCopy Mac & Windows (iPhone and iPod Touch compatible)
There's also a manual method of copying songs from your iPod to a Mac or PC. The procedure is a bit involved and won't recover playlists but if you're interested it's available on page 2 at this link: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide

Stolen laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.