Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import an existing iWeb site

I've just added a new Mac and I want to bring in an active website that was generated in iWeb and hosted elsewhere.

At the moment the site is resident in a folder on the Mac as My Webs - I can't obviously see a mechanism to import the complete site into iWeb. How can I go about this please? (You can probably tell that iWeb isn't a facility I use very frequently).

Mac mini Server (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:08 AM

You need to copy the Domain.sites2 file across to the new Mac...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/iWeb-Tips.html

See the notes on the same page regarding iWeb and Lion.

13 replies

Mar 5, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

In Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

Mar 5, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

There is no mechanism in iWeb for importing the website because iWeb can't do it - it has no import facility so cannot open previously published sites with html and css - one way street only.

Follow what others have said about finding your domain.sites file under User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites. This is your iWeb data file and this is the file that you need.

Saving a published site in iWeb, is not saving at all.

Oct 27, 2013 9:32 AM in response to georgi0

Any code editor app will import HTML documents. I use Rage software's WebDesign for this.

However, there's no point in importing an iWeb created site. Unless you have a really good knowledge of HTML, CSS and Javascript you will not be able to edit it.

The code produced by iWeb is really inefficient and outdated and the way in which the HTML doc is laid out defies logic - especially if objects have been inserted out of sequence and dragged around!

Jan 17, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Well, I was surprised to see that this question I posted almost two years ago is still running. Let me say this, having looked at Dreamweaver, for my part and with considerable experience using Quark Xpress and InDesign work, my mind couldn't possibly take in something as complicated as Dreamweaver. But fortunately, Adobe came forward with Muse and it's the most brilliant, simple and effective website on the market. If you could use iWeb then Muse wouldn't be too difficult to grasp. I'll stop there before we all end up meeting again in two years time.....

Mavericks is great and so is Muse. The End......

Jul 4, 2014 10:30 PM in response to Barry Wilbraham1

Well it is quite easy. Say you got a new computer and you kept the iWeb install files and you install iWeb.

Pick any old template and save and quit and this will create the Domain.sites2 file,

Find it in ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb like they said above in earlier posts.

Right click and open package contents.

Now open safari and navigate to your web site by choosing ftp:// domain name whatever

You will see all your files just Cmd A and drag them into the finder and this will update the contents of Domain.sites2

Muse is a subscription service. Would love something like that but that you buy once only.

How do I import an existing iWeb site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.