Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gestures problem, stuck on 4 fingers.

Today I was trying to add some additional gestures to my iMac using better touch tool, after a bit of playing about I decided I couldn't do what I wanted, so I went back to the magic trackpad system prefs and resturned all the settings back to what they where. In sys prefs I have mission control assigned to 3 finger swip up and app expose assigned to 3 finger swipe down. However mission control can now be activated using 3 or 4 finger swipe up and the same for app expose with 3 or 4 fingers.

I use the 4 finger gesture for other app specific gestures, thus having this issue renders them inaffactive, I only want mission control or app expose to work with 3 finger swipes.

I thought it might be an issue with better touch tool, so I went through all gestures and checked them, but there didn't seem to be a conflict. I then quit BTT but still had the same problem. I've done a full restart but still missions control and app expose are responding to 3 and 4 finger swipes, when BTT isn't running. I think it is a system problem and not a BTT problem. I treid turning off all gestures in system prefs and then back on but that had no effect, it appears that the mission control and app expose gestures are stuck on both 3 and 4 fingers swipes instead of just 3 fingers as I've selected.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Sam

Core i3 imac running 10.7.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:17 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2012 11:59 AM in response to sehenley

It must be caused by BTT. I think I would try uninstalling it to see if it made a difference.

Another thing to try is deleting the file - com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMutitouch.trackpad.plist from your

~/Library/Preferences. The library is hidden, to access, Finder > Go > press the option key > select Library.

Logoff/Login and it will be recreated with defaults so you would have to reselect your preferences.

Mar 3, 2013 1:18 PM in response to sehenley

Sam,

Wow, glad I checked here before posting my own discussion. You're not alone. I also have BTT installed (best thing to happen to Mac, bar none), but I can recall even prior to BTT that app expose and mission control would both be triggered by three and four finger swipes, when the preference is set to three finger swipes. I also noticed that if you set them to work with only four fingers, it'll disable the three finger gesture (the way it should). I do believe this is a system bug and it quite annoying, as I would like the system to set a three finger swipe up for mission control, a three finger swipe down for app expose and use BTT to set the four finger swipe for dashboard. My work around for the time being is to set the system preference to four (where it will funtion the way it's supposed to, with four fingers and not also with three) finger swipe for M.C./A.E. and to set the three finger functionality for dashboard. Call me neurotic or obsessive compulsive, but this still doesn't achieve what I want, which is to have those settings reversed.

Gestures problem, stuck on 4 fingers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.