Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad internal speakers not working.

My internal speakers stopped working recently on my ipad1 but it works when I use headphones. I tried everything that has been mentioned elsewhere to try and solve the problem.

I have tried playing around with the lock rotation, mute buttons, double clicking on the home button and making sure the sound wasn't muted there. I have also (on a number of occasions) done a system restore. Finally I took it into a store and they couldn't solve it either and they suggested I would need a new ipad.

Unfortunately it is 13 months old and it was bought in the USA and I live in the UK. Has anybody got any ideas as to what else I can do before giving up?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:47 AM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2012 10:05 AM in response to garymarch

Gary,

If you are out of warrenty, you are probably stuck.

Before you give up, there may something stuck in the headphone jack, simply blocking the contact when you unplug the phones. Try plugging and unplugging. The phones to see if you can work that free. Blow into the hole, or use a little can of compressed air.

You may need to simply live with it. Find a small external speaker you can plug in.....

Apple's solution will be an out of warrenty swap, which will cost you the published price. You may be better off selling it as is, and getting a new or used pad 2 or a new 3

Tough luck for you. This is likely a 5 cent piece bringing down a $500 device.

Mar 24, 2012 12:16 PM in response to garymarch

Hello Gary,

I have a solution for you. I had the same problem you did, and the "geniuses" didn't have a good answer. The problem it seems is that the ipad is confused and thinks it's on a docking station, when the speakers should be playing. Here is what you do. Use the connector for the ipad that connects it to the TV. When you plug this in, the speakers should start playing and the volume buttons should start working. Then very slowly withdraw the connector from ipad, but not all at once. Before you remove it all together, leaving it just touching the ipad connector for a while. This should keep your speakers playing. You may have to do this a few times because the ipad will shift back to thinking it's on the docking station if you do it too quickly.

Blake

ipad internal speakers not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.